PDA

View Full Version : 2 marriages - same couple?

Dolly
16-01-2006, 10:44 PM
I was searching the IGI for a Joshua Hitchon marrying a "Margaret". I did not put date parameters on and found the folloing 2 entries:

Joshua Hitchon to Margaret Chaffer 1822 Burnley, Lancashire
one marriage was on 6th October 1822 and the other on 4th November 1822. Is this a transcription error? They are on two different film numbers. Alternatively was there a reason for two marriages? Is this common?

Incidently not the couple that I was searching for!!

kazrbutler
16-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Hi Dolly,

At the base of each individual record is a panel of information, with source code no. Just click on relevant source code for appropriate year, and you can access information sources used for that batch of records.

Looking at the relevant source codes, they are both extracted, but from different sources:
Bishops Transcripts 1572 - 1847 Church of England Chapelry of Burnley is source for Nov record.
Parish Registers 1782 - 1838 Church of England Chapelry of Burnley is source for Oct record.

Yes, there is an error somewhere, but not able to say for certain where it cropped up. Looking at original source material: marriage record in parish register is the best way to find out the date of the actual marriage.

Hope this helps, Karen

Dolly
17-01-2006, 11:10 PM
thanks Karen
I had never come across the situation before and wondered if there was a genuine reason for two seperate cermonies

johnpritt
18-01-2006, 6:01 AM
Is it possible that the earlier date is when the banns were posted, with the second date the actual ceremony?