PDA

View Full Version : 1841 census look-up for Wotton Under Edge

Dean J. G
16-01-2006, 9:23 AM
Hi Listers
Would someone be so kind as to look up the surname Garraway in Wotton Under Edge on the 1841 census. The family in question has a Robert born 1830. What I need to know is the names and birthplaces for the rest of the family. From what I understand there was only one Garraway family living in Wotton Under Edge at the time. Thank you.

ChristineR
16-01-2006, 1:31 PM
I couldn't find any GARRAWAY family at all in Wotton under Edge in 1841.

Would you like me to look anywhere else? I'm not familiar with what places are nearby at all. I searched HO 107/348/ 9, 10 & 11.
By the way, the 1841 will only indicate if the person was born in the county or not, later census years give the town name as well as county.

Christine :)

ChristineR
17-01-2006, 8:28 AM
I bombed out with Horsely and Avening as well - but at least spotted one to report.

1841 HO 107/362/3
Gloucestershire, Horsley, Parish of Newmarket
Enumeration District: 4; Folio 36; Page 7
Newmarket
William ASHMEAD, 65, Flock maker, yes (born in county)
Amelia do, 61, do, yes
Hannah GARRAWAY, 35, do, yes
Susan ASHMEAD, 31, do, yes
Jane do, 28, Cloth maker, yes
Esther do, 22, dress maker, yes
Joseph do, 6, , yes
All these people are enumerated in the same household with no distinction between them. It is possible that Hannah is a married daughter or a step-child, thus the different surname, but appears to have been placed as the oldest child within the family. Joseph could be a child or a grandchild of William and Amelia :D

Christine

ChristineR
17-01-2006, 10:14 AM
And since I was in the right mood for a bit of census cruising - I looked up a map to see what was close to Wotton Under Edge, and so have now looked at Charfield, Alderley and North Nibley without success.

So, hope he turns up somewhere. Now I just went off and checked Genuki for information - and the whole 1841 Gloucestershire census is indexed on British Origins - reportedly for a modest monthly or annual fee - with a link to images.

Christine

IvorClucas
17-01-2006, 11:03 AM
I have done a bit of census cruising too on the British Origins website to which I have a subscription. I have located the following in Kingswood which is 1.4 miles from Wotton under edge and was counted as Wiltshire rather than Goucestershire at 1841 census time apparently. (Parish Locator gives it as Glos)

First name ROBERT
Last name GARRAWAY
Age 13
Sex M
Birth County OUT OF COUNTY

Census 1841
TNA Ref HO107-1172
Image No 41
Folio No 5\9
Page No 11
Entry No 6

Location details
County WILTSHIRE
Superintendent Registrar's District DURSLEY
Registrar's District WOTTON UNDER EDGE
Enumeration District No 10
Parish KINGSWOOD
Place GREEN STREET
Household Number 139

Here are all the family at Green Street:

GARRAWAY HANNAH F 46 OUT OF COUNTY
GARRAWAY JAMES M 8 OUT OF COUNTY
GARRAWAY ROBERT M 13 OUT OF COUNTY

Hope this helps - If you want a copy of the image let me know.

Cheers

Ivor

ChristineR
17-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Well done Ivor,

I was thinking how the heck did I miss them, when it sunk in they were counted as in Wiltshire, which explains why Kingswood didn't appear in the Gloucestershire town index for my cds -along with Wortley and Hillesley which also are reasonably close. I keep forgetting enumeration districts didn't necessarily stop at borders.

Christine

Dean J. G
17-01-2006, 1:37 PM
Thank you for your help everyone ! I am another step closer to finding the father of Robert. Does anyone know of the Parish Record covererage of this area around the late 1820s? I will need to search for a marriage.

HelenVSmith
17-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi

The LDS have a Bishops Transcript 1578-1812 film no. 425449.
They also have Births and baptisms Independent chapel film 816593 item 4.

Gloucestershire record ofice has Congregational Church 1807-1959 (D4735).

And unfortunately if Wiltshire Record Ofice has an online catalogue I was unable to find it. And Wiltshire Record Office is closed for teh next couple of weeks for stock taking activities. But I guess it is going to be the likely holder of the records.

Incidentally the LDS describe it as Kingswood near Wooten Under Edge, most othr places I have seen it is listed as either by or near Wotten Under Edge.

regards
Helen

Alison Scourti
02-02-2006, 1:52 PM
Hi, I'm new to this site and have just seen your message. - could I ask to try and find the family and parents of Samuel Henry Bartlett b Wooton under edge abt 1839/40. He married Eliza (here I'm guessing - would love verification - ) Wooles in Lydney.
Many thanks

janbooth
02-02-2006, 4:02 PM
Here is the only Samuel BARTLETT in the 1841 census of Gloucestershire:

HO107/10, folio 21, page 7
Bradley Road, Wotton under Edge

Mary BARTLETT 60 Shop Keeper Born in county yes
Ann do 20 no
Emily do 7 yes
Samuel do 3 yes

and they are still at Bradley Road in the 1851 census:

HO107/1958, folio 150, page 14

Mary BARTLETT Head Wid 69 Gloucester Wotton
Ann do Daur U 34 Seamstress Middlesex London
Emily do Grandaughter U 17 Scholar Gloucester Wotton
Saml do Grandson 12 do do do

In the 1861 he is in Cirencester (RG9/1782, folio 28, page 8) an unmarried Police Officer boarding at Castle Street Police Station. In the 1871 he is married in Lydney (RG10/5296, folio 90, page 2), a Painter & Glazier, married to Eliza with 4 children.

Janet.