PDA

View Full Version : "Favourites" lost

BeeE586
15-01-2006, 1:13 PM
I hope and pray that I have finally re-established a secure connection to AOL, but during the uninstalling and reinstalling processes I have lost my index of "Favourite Sites". Most of the common ones such as Ancestry, Family Search, etc., can easily be found - BG Forums was the first I looked for - but will someone please tell me the names of

1) the site that sorts the IGI by place names,
2) the site where you can enter your families as they were in 1881,
3) the newish DBY site that has Removal Orders, Bastardy, etc.
4) the games sites that were safe to download.

Thank you --- Eileen |wave|

Diane Grant-Salmon
15-01-2006, 2:28 PM
|wave| Eileen,

Lost Cousins is the site for entries from the 1881 Census and Tucows Downloads is one for games.

Sorry I can't help with the others.

Diane Grant-Salmon
15-01-2006, 2:33 PM
|wave| again Eileen,

Here's a link to your original thread ....... may be more links on it.
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9798

I read it at the time messages were added, but have not re-read it just now. :)

Trish
15-01-2006, 2:49 PM
...will someone please tell me the names of...

...the site that sorts the IGI by place names...Eileen, do you mean the Hugh Wallis site?

Good luck with recovering all your "favourites".

Trish

Beebee
15-01-2006, 4:13 PM
Is this the site you were after for games? http://www.miniclip.com/ I remembered from a previous thread of yours that you were after some safe sites for games, and I mentioned this one, which you later replied that you enjoyed.

BeeE586
15-01-2006, 4:46 PM
Kind friends, thank you all.

Just popped in between the Snooker matches and have safely stored all your suggestions. I read the previous thread as suggested by Diane and found the information re TIFF on British Origins. I just followed the instructions for Windows XP and now I can read the images.

Now back to Snooker

|cheers| -- Eileen

Diane Grant-Salmon
15-01-2006, 6:54 PM
|wave| Eileen,

Ooops ... forgot to mention this before, |blush| but it may be helpful to you. Unfortunately, I'm paranoid about backing things up e.g. main computer has second back-up drive, plus a laptop where things are duplicated, plus a bit of web space where things are uploaded ....... I also copied My Favorites folder in case of accidents to all this lot! :D

If you click Start on your computer, then go to Find or Search ..... click Search for Files or Folders. Then type *Favorites* in the box, and click Search, this will tell you where your folder is.

Go to the location, right click on the Favorites folder and select Copy, then go to your My Documents folder. In a blank space, right click and select Paste and you will then have your Favorites folder with all your links safely stored, in case of further accidents with AOL. ;)

pixelman
31-01-2006, 10:53 AM
your .fav file is corrupt.

If it is find it using the Find function, rename it old.fav and move it to you desktop.
Next in IE (if that is what you are using) go to File > Import and Export... > use the wizard to Import Favourites navigating to your old.fav file on your desktop.

This should work.

Mark

BeeE586
31-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Thank you, Mark. I followed the suggestions in the previous posts and everything was restored in a satisfactory manner.

Eileen