PDA

View Full Version : Pinkstone Families of Tiverton, Devon

Carrie Broadbent
15-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I am looking for information about any Pinkstone families
from Tiverton, Devon.

I have a small amount of information about individuals and
I am trying to connect them together.

Some of my Pinkstone female members were lace and net makers.

I would be grateful of any help with my Pinkstone ancestors
from around the 1800 to 1850 time frame.

Carrie

WaltonAus
23-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Hello Carrie,
Looking at LDS I came across this record for the 1881 census:

Household Record 1881 British Census
William PINGSTONE Head 79 Tiverton, Devon, Basketmaker Employing 4
Ann H. PINGSTONE Wife 68 Bristol, Gloucester, Eng
Emma J. PINGSTONE Daur 34 Bristol, Gloucester, Eng, Mantle Maker
Clara E. PINGSTONE Daur 28 Bristol, Gloucester, Eng, Mantle Maker
Rosina C. PINGSTONE Daur 26 Bristol, Gloucester, Eng
Arthur E. PINGSTONE Son 23 Bristol, Gloucester, Engl,LithographicArtist
Olive N. PINGSTONE Daur 21 Bristol, Gloucester, Eng, Drapers Assistant

Source Information:
Dwelling 56 Castle Street
Family History Library Film 1341594
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 2467 / 20
Page Number 12
-----------------------
and this marriage ???????

William Pinkstone, B:c1790,Tiverton, Devon
Spouse: Ann Cowling
Marriage: About 1810 Tiverton, Devon

I don't know if this is the right family but it might be a place to start.

Kind Regards
Peter Euston

Carrie Broadbent
29-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Hello Peter,
Thankyou for your reply.
There are to different families mentioned in your letter.
The Pingstones and the Pinkstones. I don't think they
are related.
I have been searching for the family of sisters, Jane
and Sarah Pinkstone. They were both born about 1820
in Tiverton, Devon, but emigrated to Derby, Derbyshire
before the 1841 census. Both sisters were lace or net
menders.
I have been able to trace Jane who married Joseph
Blackton in 1838, but not Sarah Pinkstone.
I have wondred why 2 sisters would leave Devonshire
and shift to Derbyshire to live.
I am just hoping someone else is researching these two
sisters as I have been unable to learn anything on then
prior to 1838.

Regards

Carrie

KateM
29-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi Carrie,

I sent you an email a few days ago with my Pinkstone connections but it doesn't sound they are the same family.
However they were also in the lace trade and seemed to move between Devon and Nottingham quite a bit.

I believe that many of the lace factories in Devon were built by some of the Derbyshire/Nottingham factory owners and from what I have read it was not uncommon for workers to move between the two areas.

I was looking at the Acces to Archives site and saw the following which may be of relevance:

Devon Record Office: St Thomas Parish
Catalogue ref: 4781 A - 99

Overseers of the Poor
Removal Orders: William Pinkstone, Mary his wife, Jane (15) and Sarah (13), children by his first wife Sarah, deceased, to Tiverton - ref 4781 A -99/PO 18/146 date:1832

This archives are held by Devon Record Office - they may be able to provide more information for these papers.

Regards
Kate

Carrie Broadbent
30-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Hello Kate,

Thankyou for the information on the Devon Record
Office. I have just sent them am email.
The family mentioned could be the one I have been
searching for.

Regards

Carrie

KateM
30-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi Carrie,

I also found this on Devon pages of Genuki

Ide marriages

17th July 1826 William Pinkstone of the parish of Tiverton, widower and Mary Kingwell of the parish of St Thomas, Exon, spinster, married by Banns. Both signed their names. Wit. Martha Satterly, Joseph Slee, Elizabeth Kingwell, all signed their names.

This looks like Williams second marriage as indicated by the removal order mentioned in my previous post.

Hope this helps,
Kate

Carrie Broadbent
01-07-2006, 9:39 AM
Hello Kate,

Thankyou so much Kate for the marriage record
of William and Mary Pinkstone.
Jane and Sarah must have been quite young when
their mother Sarah died.
I really appreciate your help.

Carrie

Jennifer Brobst
17-11-2006, 4:42 AM
Carrie,
I came across your post while researcing my own ancestry. My grandmother's maiden name was Pinkstone. Her family was from Totnes. William Pinkstone was a jeweller there. My father knows much more than I do about them. I will talk to him and see what he knows about Jane and Sarah.

Sailor
20-11-2007, 6:18 PM
I am looking for information about any Pinkstone families
from Tiverton, Devon.

I have a small amount of information about individuals and
I am trying to connect them together.

Some of my Pinkstone female members were lace and net makers.

I would be grateful of any help with my Pinkstone ancestors
from around the 1800 to 1850 time frame.

Carrie

Hi Carrie,
My husband's mother was a Pinkstone. I have info on the family back to c1800's. What is your connection?

Sailor
04-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi Carrie,
We too are researching the Pinkstones of Tiverton. My husband's Mother's line goes back to William Pinkstone & Ann Cowling. We would love to hear from you and anyone with these connections!

Jennifer Brobst
05-01-2008, 3:12 AM
Sailor,
How is your husband related to William Pinkstone if you don't mind me asking. We are very distantly related.
Thanks.

Sailor
05-01-2008, 9:52 PM
Hi Jennifer,
We have spent hours recently trying to sort out this very complex family who intermarried with the Rowcliffe's also of Tiverton! Although not of any direct relationship, only slight family connections, William Pinkstone b. 1790 was my husband's 4x great grandmother's youngest brother's father in law!

ie. William & Ann's (Cowling) daughter Charlotte married William Rowcliffe Jnr.
William Jnr's parents were William Turner Rowcliffe & Eliza Sellick.
One of their daughters was Charlotte Maria Rowcliffe who married Thomas Darch Pinksone. Charlotte & Thomas's 2x great grandaughter was my husband's Mother, Margaret Pinkstone.

So, William Rowcliffe Jnr & his sister Charlotte Maria Rowcliffe both married into the Pinkstone family!!
Regards'
Margaret Holt

Junior
05-03-2009, 12:32 AM
hi Jennifer,
I am also researching the PINKSTONEs of Tiverton. My GGG grandfather was George PINKSTON (1804-1861) He was the son of Abraham PINKSTONE and Mary BERRY. He married Betsy Helen HEARN, and was a Congregational Minister in North Petherton, Somerset. He and Betsy plus 7 children emigrated to South Australia in 1849. He died in Adelaide in 1861.

Cheers

Junior

MarkPinkstone
28-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I have been researching the Pinkstones in Australia, so if anyone in interested drop me a line at
mark[AT]contact-hk[DOT]com
I have made a note in my Ancestry page to wit:

Charles, the first Pinkstone to land in Australia, was the son of Robert Pingstone (Tiverston, Devon). In the 1822 Muster he was listed as Charles Pinkerton. It is believed the family originated from the hamlet of Pinxton, Derbyshire and over the centuries migrated to south England to Devon. The Pinxtons lived on the edge of Nothingham Forest where they were gamekeepers. This is borne out by the family Coat of Arms (aka Blazon-of-Arms) from the House of Heraldry (Inverness, Scotland) to wit: "Gules, three piles engrailed argent,meeting in point,each charged with as many pellets. The crest is a pine tree between two pine cones. The Motto is 'Plant On'".

Additional information about this story
Description added by Mark Pinkstone
Date
Attached to Charles Pinkstone (1796 - 1871)

So over he centuries the name has been bastardised to become Pinkstone.
Food for thought.

MarkPinkstone
20-02-2015, 1:07 AM
I have a Sarah Pinkstone in my family tree. Born in 1930, she was the daughter Charles Pinkston (from Tiverton, but went through a name change enroute - from Pingston to Pinkston) and Sarah Fidden. But this Sarah Pinkstone was born in Australia. So I don't know if this helps. I also have a note in this forum about the Pinkstones/Pingstons/pixtons in Derby.

MarkPinkstone
20-02-2015, 1:24 AM
Do you have any idea who was the father of William Pingstone?
thanks
Mark Pinkstone

steveh37
20-02-2015, 5:32 PM
Hi I don't want to muddy the water here but I to have a Pinkstone in my family tree he wed into it. He is Jem Pinkstone (1883- 1959) born in Tiverton Died in Canada. He wed Emma L Rambridge In December 1904 in Plymouth, Devonshire and they emigrated to Canada in 1910 His Father was Samuel Pinkstone (1857-1888) and his mother was Eva Fry (1856- 1896) they were both born and died in the Tiverton area. Samuels father was Thomas Darck Pinkstone (1824-1867) his mother was Charlotte Marie Rowcliffe ((abt 1828) was the eldest of 9)) they wed in 1850 in Tiverton area. and they had 6 Children I believe. there are 8 Public Members trees you can view on Axxxxxxy.

MarkPinkstone
15-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Hi Carrie,
Pinkstone, Pingston are the same. Pingston was the original and due to bad handwriting etc it eventually became Pinkstone.

MarkPinkstone
15-06-2016, 1:02 PM
Anyone know the children of William Pinkstone. I'm trying to find the father of John Pinkston c 1760 -1796
thanks
mark

memeng
08-03-2018, 7:12 PM
Hello Carrie,

Sarah Pinkstone is my Great-Great Grandmother. She moved, as you say, to Derby and there she married a John Winfield, who became a silk mill owner. I read that the mill owners in Derby funded some of the mills in Devon. Also, Sarah's father, Robert, had a draper's shop in Tiverton, so maybe he had contacts in Derby. I can't find anything about Sarah's sister, once she moved to Derby.

Best of wishes,
Mary