PDA

View Full Version : Windows ME problem with CD's

Alan Fairhurst
14-01-2006, 7:26 PM
Hi List. I'm new to the forum and my name is Alan Fairhurst from Cheshire. Last year I un-installed a few programs from my computer and later had a new CD-ROM installed. A few weeks ago, I tried to re-install the programs, (1881 census & index & the Bertram Merrill Index.) The Bertram Merrill Index will not install. The 1881 census will install and the National Index Discs work O.K. But the Regional Discs will not open. But, strangely enough, The BVRI2 works O.K.
I've also noticed that the "Auto-Start" for CD's does not work on my PC even tho' it's set to do so. I have to open CD's manually. I dread having to re-install Windows ME; I will lose so many programs. Any one got any suggestions?
Alan.

Guy Etchells
14-01-2006, 11:18 PM
The answer to your 1881 problem is simple you have not yet installed the regional discs.
Open the viewer place number one cd of any of the regional discs in the cd player and click add new resource.
Cheers
Guy

Alan Fairhurst
15-01-2006, 1:41 AM
Hi Guy. The discs are installed. The problem is that no matter what disc I insert I keep getting the message to "insert any disc from the 1881 census". For some reason the discs are not being detected.
Alan.

Mark
15-01-2006, 2:13 AM
How many CD drives do you have in your machine? If there's just one, does it have the same drive letter that the original one had?

Re-installing the OS shouldn't be too troublesome. You shouldn't "lose" programs as you have the original installation disks, CDs, DVDs or have backups of ones you've bought and downloaded online.

IMHO disabling Auto-Start is no bad thing.

As for the regional disks, try re-installing them.

Mark

Ed Bradford
15-01-2006, 2:40 AM
Alan, I had a similar problem after installing a new CDROM drive. First, I forgot to move the master/slave jumper on the drive to the correct position before installing it. Second, I had to go to "Add or Remove Programs" under "Control Panel" and remove the "Family History Resource File Viewer" and then reinstall it and the 1881 Census Disks. After that everything worked fine again. If you feel compelled to reload the operating system, I'd recommend going the extra expense and upgrading to WinXP. The difference in software performance is worth it.
.............Ed

Guy Etchells
15-01-2006, 9:03 AM
Hi Guy. The discs are installed. The problem is that no matter what disc I insert I keep getting the message to "insert any disc from the 1881 census". For some reason the discs are not being detected.
Alan.
On opening the viewer does it list the following resources?

1881 census
1881 census - National Index
Vital Records - British Isles.

I would imagine the first 1881 census is missing.
Cheers
Guy

Alan Fairhurst
15-01-2006, 5:38 PM
Hi List. I've taken all advice on board and have un-installed & re-install the 1881 census and the BVRI2 doing as advised and un-ticking the auto-start for CD's. It now works fine.
However I still cannot install The Bertram Merrell Marriage Index. I get the error message: "Cannot start main setup program (Creat Process0 returned error code 0x000000C1H). Guess I'll have to return the disc for an exchange. Thanks for all your advice. At least one problem solved.
Alan.

Mark
16-01-2006, 1:50 PM
The problem seems to be when an installation is unfinished for some reason, if you try to reinstall then you get an error.
Cannot start main setup program! (CreateProcess() returned error code 0x000000C1H)

1. On the target computer, search for a copy of the installer's .cab file in the Windows folder or Winnt folder on NT or Windows 2000). If found, delete the .cab file.

Note: Setup places the .cab file(s) in the Windows or Winnt folder and removes them at the end of a successful Setup. However, if the installation program exits abnormally, the .cab files may be left on the system.

Also, check the TEMP directories for a folder with the name Msftqws.pdw.

On the target computer, locate the following files. If any of these files have a size of 0 bytes, delete the file:

\Windows\System\Vb6stkit.dll (or \Winnt\System32\Vb6stkit.dll)

\Windows\St6unst.exe (or \Winnt\St6unst.exe)

When all of the files, if present, are deleted run setup again.

Mark

Alan Fairhurst
16-01-2006, 3:09 PM
Hi Mark. I followed your advice and it has worked. Both problems are now solved and I want to thank everyone that contributed advice. This is a great forum. Thanks once again.
Alan Fairhurst.