PDA

View Full Version : William Smith & Rebecca Hall

IreneH
13-01-2006, 4:05 AM
If I go by the things that Myth's lot get up to, I know that what I've found with this couple, could very well be right!
Rebecca Hall b. 1779 North Kelsey. d 1852 married one William Smith 1826.
Don't know where the said Willy was born or when.
Now it gets interesting - it seem these two started their family in a hurry. In fact too big a hurry to get married frist - not unheard of I grant you!

Diana b. 1813 d. 1822
Joseph b 1814
Richard b. 1816
Mary Anne b. 1817
Harriet b. 1819
Charlotte b. 1821
Ann b.1824

at this point they decide to get married and then have yet another kid,

Maria b. 1826

All the kids were born in North Kelsey. Now am I getting two William Smiths and Rebecca Halls mix here.....or have I found my frist little bit of scandal in the Hall tree??

Geoffers
13-01-2006, 8:51 AM
It could well be the first bit of scandal - BUT - Have you taken this from the parish registers for North Kelsey, or an index such as the IGI?

Some thoughts that cross my mind are:

Were all the children baptised when born, or in a job lot after the marriage of their parents?

Did dad survive to the 1841 census to confirm the county of birth - or 1851 census to give place of birth?

What does the marriage register entry say? Does it show either William Smith or Rebecca Hall as being widowed? If she was born 1779, she's about 34 at the birth of the first child you mention, which is quite old. Had either or both abandoned/been abandoned by their first spouse? Were they not able to marry until 1826 because because that's when the first spouse died?

Geoffers

Pam Downes
14-01-2006, 4:02 AM
Hi Irene,
I would join Geoffers in the questioning. (I would have beaten him, but I had to go out at 7.40 a.m. and didn't have time.)
My questions would be where did you get the information from? Parish registers? And how were the baptism entries recorded? e.g. did it say Diana, daughter of Rebecca Hall and William Smith?
I was trying to compare the number of Hall marriages to the number of Smith marriages in Yarborough deanery between 1700 and 1837 (210 and 675) when I saw
William Smith and Rebecca Smith 1801 North Kelsey.
Info from Yarborough Deanery marriage index 1700 - 1837 as published by LFHS.

Pam Downes

IreneH
15-01-2006, 7:17 PM
Hi Pam, Geoffers

That Geoffers always managers to get in frist. I swear he never leave his computer. Eats drinks and sleeps there!:D

Ooops! I put two numbers around the wrong way. Rebecca was b. 1797 Not 1779!! makes her about 16 when to first baby was born.

So I think that would cut the 1801 marriage out Pam - I saw that one to. The name Rebecca is not a common one in the Hall family.
I pulled most of it of IGI but have been trying to cross check with parish register etc but I'm not finding anything to for or against. I know IGI is not always right. I can't find anything on LFSH. Most of the stuff that I have access to (which isn't a lot) doesn't go back far enough.
All the dates for the kids are christening dates - Ann has the note that she was a year old at christening.

I also think that for them to have had soooo many kids before getting married is totally out of character with the Family line. My lot seem to be very pious - getting married and then having there kids. Mind you I guess Will Smith could have been a bad influence?!

Hadn't thought of the census:o Will try that.

Irene

IreneH
15-01-2006, 8:12 PM
Ok! Had a look at census - no luck! :(

Pam Downes
15-01-2006, 9:26 PM
Ooops! I put two numbers around the wrong way. Rebecca was b. 1797 Not 1779!! makes her about 16 when to first baby was born.
So I think that would cut the 1801 marriage out Pam - I saw that one to. The name Rebecca is not a common one in the Hall family. Hi Irene,
That 1801 marriage was a William Smith marrying a Rebecca SMITH, meaning that there was another family where the husband and wife were William and Rebecca, and that they may therefore have been the parents of the Smiths born 1813-1824. Especially as I've found on the online IGI George baptised May 1809 and Anne baptised June 1811 both with parents of William and Rebecca at a time when your Rebecca is only 12 when George was baptised.

I pulled most of it of IGI but have been trying to cross check with parish register etc but I'm not finding anything to for or against. If the parents aren't married then the PRs will usually give the parents as 'Mary Brown and John Green' or just 'Mary Brown'.
So it looks to me as if you're still short on family scandal. :) Sorry to disappoint you.
Pam Downes

Geoffers
15-01-2006, 9:34 PM
I see that there are a couple of Smiths in North Kelsey 1841 census who were farmers. I wonder if your chap did more than instruct the family servant/farm wroker in her chores and then stood by her to the disappointment of family?

Perhaps the wills of these farmers might be instructive? - e.g. "to my miscreant son William I don't even leave a brass farthing." What did your William do for a living?

Have you not been able to find the chap in any census return? What about Rebecca, does she turn up at all? (Though I appreciate that while finding Smith records isn't difficult, finding the right one may present more problems).

Geoffers

IreneH
15-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks Pam.

However the frist of the Willy and Rebecca's , that I'm looking at , was christen in 1813 (Diana) the last in 1824 (Ann). Rebecca would have been about 16 in 1813. Thats not to say that there are not two families mix up here. Heres no George in the family that I have Pam.

Geoffers,
I search both William Smith and Rebecca Smith as well as Rebecca Hall (just in case)
No sign of either of them in 1851, that fitted. I don't have access to 1841.

Irene

Pam Downes
15-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Thanks Pam.

However the frist of the Willy and Rebecca's , that I'm looking at , was christen in 1813 (Diana) the last in 1824 (Ann). Rebecca would have been about 16 in 1813. Thats not to say that there are not two families mix up here. Heres no George in the family that I have Pam. Hi Irene,
Tell me how you *know* that Diana, Joseph, etc as per your first message belong to your William and Rebecca's family, and not to the William and Rebecca I found marrying in 1801
Pam Downes.

IreneH
01-02-2006, 6:26 PM
Back again! Been away at my daughters - new baby, just got home last night. I'm knackered!
Managed to get Rebecca and William sorted while I was away - used son - in - laws computer. Thanks everyone.

Pam Downes
01-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Managed to get Rebecca and William sorted while I was away - used son - in - laws computer. Well, don't leave us in suspenders - what was the answer?
Pam Downes
p.s. I presume you mean the new baby is your daughter's and not yours :D Congrats anyway

IreneH
02-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Hi Pam,

Yep the new bab is definately my daughters! I'm a bit that that sort of carry on these days. A wee girl - no name yet. One of each now.
Rebecca and Willy it seems didn't marry until 1826 or there abouts and had two kids Hannah b. 1826 and Mary b. 1828. Doesn't seem to be any more. My distant cousin didn't pass on just where they got married - forgot that bit and has buggered off on holiday so now I have to wait til he gets back in a couple of weeks. Unless I can find it myself - I know where to look now date wise. Dratted man!! Never mind, it all makes much more sense now.
Found a photo of my great grandfather while I was away too. Now I know what the old codger looked like.

Irene

Geoff Everitt
02-02-2006, 9:37 AM
Sorry, I posted a load of nonsense :o

IreneH
02-02-2006, 6:31 PM
Thats ok Geoff. I do that all the time :)

Pam Downes
05-02-2006, 5:12 PM
Hi Irene,
I'm finally back on my own computer though it still needs a lot of work on it because all my favourite URL links have corrupted names, and though my son has in the last couple of hours restored Word and Excel I had trouble finding my family history files. I've finally found them in a funny place (i.e. not 'my documents') with corrupted file names so it looks like another weeks' work there. Hang on while I |rant| - that little fella always has me in stitches :D
Anyway, it's all a very long-winded way of saying
William Smith, widower, married Rebecca Hall, 11th December 1826 at Winterton. Info from Manlake deanery marriage index 1700-1837 published by Lincolnshire FHS.

Pam Downes

IreneH
06-02-2006, 6:36 PM
Pam - you are a gem!! |bowdown| Many many thanks. Its bad enough have the name HALL(16th most common) to hunt through without the name SMITH as well!! :D Thats another gap filled! The smilies are fun aren't they.