PDA

View Full Version : 1837online and National Archivist web sites

Pam Downes
11-01-2006, 2:43 AM
'Soldiers who died in the Great War' is now available at 1837 online.

And later in the year they will also add the databases currently available at the National Archivist site.

Special price offers are available for both sites until 14th Feb via the National Archivist site.
Pam Downes

Geoffers
12-01-2006, 2:02 PM
The soldiers who died in WW1 part of 1837 online does have one useful addition which is not included on CWGC - you can search by birthplace.

Also, suppose you are looking for the dreaded John Smith whom you know was born in London, served in the army and died sometime in WW1. Search CWGC for army deaths WW1 SMITH J (you can't search on forename) and you get 1,847 hits, which will take a while to work through.

Search 1837 online for SMITH John, born London and you get 9 hits.

Search CWGC for HOLDEN J, army WW1 and you get 100 hits, search 1837 online for HOLDEN John, bn Lancs and you get 17.

10 units is quite a lot to view a record, but if it saves me a bit of time and I only have to click on one or two entries, it becomes more viable.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

Geoffers

Mythology
12-01-2006, 2:27 PM
Thank you, Geoffers - I agree that if I was looking for John Smith born London I'd rather pay a small sum to make life easier, so it does have its uses then.

As far as my "Was this one just an unlucky choice?" question goes, though, I'm not being sarcastic here, I honestly know very little about 20th century stuff and have no idea what is contained in a typical entry on the "Soldiers died in the Great War" database.

My result does not include a birthplace (nor even an age for that matter) so it wouldn't have helped if there were a thousand Keith Debenhams - if a typical entry does, then that would indeed be helpful.

Other than that, though, I take it that the answer is "No, this is about all you're likely to get", so apart from cases where the CWGC site is a pain because, for example, the user doesn't know the death year to narrow it down and/or the name is horribly common, it's a waste of money - one to use just for the difficult cases, yes?

Geoffers
12-01-2006, 2:44 PM
At ten units to get the full entry, I'd agree - personally I think this is quite a lot. However, as mentioned, I'm not averse to using their index to narrow down the number of hits and then transfer over to CWGC.

To give an example of information provided by the two sites:
CWGC (free)
LOWE, William. Nationality UK,Pioneer 6th bn Labour Corps. Service No. 117547. Grave ref 54.116 Norwich Cemetery. Died 26 Oct 1918

1837online (cost c.50pence)
LOWE, William. Labour Corps. Born Norwich, enlisted London, residence Norwich, Service No. 292764 (formerly 117547 R.E). Died 26 Oct 1918. Theatre of war. Home

The bit that is only on one site is in blue. Is it worth 50 pence to find out the additional detail? - possibly.
Geoffers

Peter Goodey
12-01-2006, 4:03 PM
"At ten units to get the full entry, I'd agree"

On the other hand, have you seen how much it costs on CD? Makes the NBI seem value for money!

Geoffers
12-01-2006, 4:25 PM
On the other hand, have you seen how much it costs on CD?
'tis a good point, thanks for reminding me. It's as well to keep things in perspective

Geoffers

Peter Goodey
12-01-2006, 6:17 PM
"I do think you should have added a warning, Peter."

Actually I don't think I'll be using it online and certainly won't be buying it!

The SoG library has a copy and I'll be happy to stick with their copy if or when when I need it again.