PDA

View Full Version : Dyer, Lympstone, 1841

GeoffD
07-01-2006, 11:31 PM
I would be most appreciative if some kind soul with access to the 1841 census for Lympstone could have a look for DYER names in that area. In particular, the family of William White DYER, aged about 14, probably an apprentice baker. Parents names John and Sarah.

Many thanks, in advance.

AnnB
08-01-2006, 1:42 PM
Hello Geoff

There appear to be no Dyers in Lympstone in 1841 and I've had a look at some of the nearby parishes, but can't find a William who would fit the bill :(

Sorry!
Best wishes
Ann

GeoffD
08-01-2006, 9:11 PM
Thanks Ann. WW Dyer and his father John were in Lympstone in the 1830s, possbily as late as 1837, but could have moved on by 1841. They were a bit 'itinerant' or maybe just 'pushy'. John went on to be a publican somewhere nearby, I think, but that is the stuff I am trying to find out. WW Dyer was in London by 1851.

Looks like I will have to wait a while (and get busy with my latest transcription task) for the 1841 to hit FreeCen - or fork out for some CDs.

AnnB
09-01-2006, 8:44 AM
Hello Geoff

I remembered seeing a John Dyer who was an innkeeper when I was looking for William and have just gone back and found him again. It is within the realms of possibility that he is 'yours', if you can accept him married to Rebecca instead of Sarah - and knock a couple of years off William's age....... ;)

Anyway, thought I'd give you the details, after all Dawlish is only about 5 miles from Lympstone.

HO107 219/15 Folio 5 Page 5
Dawlish
Old Town Street
John Dyer - 35 - Inn Keeper - Y
Rebecca do - 25 - Y
William do - 12 - Y
Elizabeth Pike - 12 - FS - Y

Best wishes
Ann

GeoffD
09-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Something odd there, even allowing for 1841 style ages. No worries, I'll chase it up when I get back from my wanderings. I have good authority for John's wife being Sarah White (apart from the son being William White Dyer) and there would possibly be a younger John and an even younger sister if this was the correct family.

AnnB
09-01-2006, 2:30 PM
Oh well, at least I've given you something to think about...... ;)

You may have already found this, but in the 1844 Pigot's Directory of Berks, Bucks, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Gloucestershire, in the Inns section for Exmouth, I found -
'Swan - John Dyer, Lymston'

Enjoy your wanderings

Best wishes
Ann

GeoffD
09-01-2006, 8:37 PM
You may have already found this, but in the 1844 Pigot's Directory of Berks, Bucks, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Gloucestershire, in the Inns section for Exmouth, I found -
'Swan - John Dyer, Lymston'

Interesting! The younger John married a Charlotte Carter from Harpford and was a Master Saddler in 1851. The sisters of William W and young John were Emla and Matilda.

Charlotte Carter was my 2nd Great-grandaunt both by birth and by marriage - I told you they intermarried precociously.

TerryK
09-01-2006, 8:59 PM
Can some kind soul tell me why my grandfather should have two medal cards ?
One was the meritorious sevice medal and the other, 15 star.victory medal and british
Any help appreciated
Regards
Terry