PDA

View Full Version : Abney Park Cemetery Indexing Project

Steve Steere
22-10-2004, 8:52 PM
You may find a visit to the Abney Park Cemetery (Stoke Newington) Indexing Project very worthwhile.

They have indexed over 193,000 burials on their site which can greatly assist finding the relative that came to London and disappeared in the smoke.

I have no connection to the site or project, but have used it to obtain family details. The index is free but you have to pay for more detail, though the funds go to the Abney Park Trust.

Bill N
22-11-2004, 6:40 AM
Thank you for the link.

Are there other links to local cemetery's I am still seeking Caroline Neale some time after 1881 perhaps Bethnal Green?

She was living in Newington, I just can't locate her she would be in her mid sixtys we think.

Thank you again

Bill N

Steve Steere
23-11-2004, 9:21 AM
Hi Bill,
I am not aware of any other cemetery indexes at present. Being female there is always the chance that she may have re-married, even at a late age, I have it in my own family. Also bear in mind that there is an area named Newington south of the river Thames in London, next to southwark. In 1881 it was in the county of Surrey and became part of the London county council in 1889.

Bill N
23-11-2004, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the info. no I did not realise there was another Newington, I will start looking there also.
Happy hunting

Bill N

Guy Etchells
23-11-2004, 4:17 PM
Try the links on my cemeteries page
http://www.framland.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Cheers
Guy

Chris Haines
26-03-2005, 12:40 AM
You may find a visit to the Abney Park Cemetery (Stoke Newington) Indexing Project very worthwhile. They have indexed over 193,000 burials on their site which can greatly assist finding the relative that came to London and disappeared in the smoke.
Many thanks for this, Steve. I had known from the CWGC Debt of Honour that a very distant Razey relative was commemorated there at the end of WW1. This Project site has now provided more detail plus the burials of his parents and brother, and - even more interesting - the burials of three much closer relatives on my rare Passaway tree. Now I know where to look for the graves when I am next in Stoke Newington. Chris