PDA

View Full Version : Sheldon Hall, Tile Cross, Warwickshire

greenways6
22-10-2004, 3:51 PM
Can anyone tell me how I find out if there were any skirmishes during the Civil War period in the vicinity of Sheldon Hall, Tile Cross, Birmingham?
The hall was at this period owned by the DEVEREAUX family, who also owned Castle Bromwich Hall. I am not sure where their sympathies lay during this time.

Geoffers
22-10-2004, 8:53 PM
Can anyone tell me how I find out if there were any skirmishes during the Civil War period in the vicinity of Sheldon Hall, Tile Cross, Birmingham?
The hall was at this period owned by the DEVEREAUX family, who also owned Castle Bromwich Hall. I am not sure where their sympathies lay during this time.
I've had a rbwose through a few of my books and can find nowt about a skirmish in the area, but then the books I have don't include them all.

You could try the Virtualbrum website:

Other than that, I'd suggest the Local Studies and History Service, Floor 6, Central Library, Chamberlain Sq, Brimingham might be able to help.
tel.no. 0121 464 0993

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

geoffpowers
03-12-2004, 11:16 PM
There was certainly a good deal of activity in and around Birmingham in the earlier phase of the Civil War. In 1643 Prince Rupert's Cavalry, containing a fair number of Rhinelanders and French 'volunteers', trashed the Deritend area of the town (below the Bull Ring), firing a number of houses and molesting the populace. Birmingham is described as solidly Puritan/Paliamentarian [Tristram Hunt: 'The English Civil war at First Hand', pp.130-131]. The report that Hunt quotes is taken from a Parliamentarian tract of the time and is somewhat overblown.

It is clear that there was a lot of support for King Charles in rural Warwickshire and it's reasonable to suppose that there was a lot of skirmishing around that time in localities where there were known Royalist supporters. However, I do not have any details that specifically mention Sheldon Hall.