PDA

View Full Version : Driver of First Train across the Forth Bridge

Liza
03-01-2006, 12:12 AM
A new-found relative in NZ tells me that one of our ancestors was reputed to have driven the first train across the Forth Bridge but we are unsure whether this is fact or fiction. Anyone know how to verify the name of that first train driver across the wonderful Forth Bridge? It would be wonderful to find his name was WRIGHT.

Guy Etchells
03-01-2006, 8:57 AM
Unless he was the Marchioness of Tweedale it is fiction. ;)

The Forth Bridge was opened in 1890 on the 4th March by King Edward VII (as Prince of Wales). The first locomotive to drive across was No. 602 belogning to the North British Railway driven by the Marchioness of Tweedale.
Unfortunately my reference does not give the name of the real driver rather than the dignitary fronting the publicity.

PS. It also notes 1891 Forth Bridge opened for railway traffic, so it could be that this first was simply a ceremoninal drive of an engine across the bridge rather than the first train.

Another source states Although it was formally opened in 4 March 1890, the bridge was first used some weeks earlier, on 21 January. On that day two 1000ft long test trains each comprising a locomotive and 50 wagons, and each weighing 900 tons, rolled onto the bridge side by side from the south.
Cheers
Guy

AnnB
03-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Hello Liza

Sorry if you already know about this, but at http://www.forthbridges.org.uk/ you will find the site for the Forth Bridge Visitor Centre Trust.

I haven't looked at it in depth, but did notice there was a link for contacting the Trust, so they may be able to help. They also have a link to a list of those who died whilst the bridge was being built.

Best wishes
Ann

Liza
03-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks Guy and Ann B for your helpful information.

Geoffers
03-01-2006, 8:12 PM
You might try the National Railways Museum http://www.nrm.org.uk/home/menu.asp
but you need to be quick as the research centre closes on 27 Jan for new building work

Geoffers

Robert Masters
17-11-2008, 8:11 PM
A new-found relative in NZ tells me that one of our ancestors was reputed to have driven the first train across the Forth Bridge but we are unsure whether this is fact or fiction. Anyone know how to verify the name of that first train driver across the wonderful Forth Bridge? It would be wonderful to find his name was WRIGHT.
My name is Rob and according to family hearsay my maternal Gt grand father (William McKinnon) drove the first train over the Forth Bridge.
The question being which was the first train?
There was an Engineers Special that crossed the Bridge in January 1890.
The train used for the official opening that was supposedly driven by the Chairman of the North British Railway-somehow I DON'T think so!
Then there would have been the first passenger and goods trains.
Did you get any replies from anywhere? Do you have any other information?
I have been searching for about 12 years without much joy.
Hope to hear from you in the not too distant future.
Regards Rob.

Jan1954
17-11-2008, 8:17 PM
Hello Rob - welcome to Brit-Gen.

Thank you for posting the information and questions for Liza, but unfortunately she is no longer a member.

Guy Etchells
17-11-2008, 10:24 PM
The two test trains ran from the south across the bridge to the middle of the north cantilever then they returned to the south end, as no train had to complete a crossing until the one that carried the Chairman of the company.

The first train to cross consisted of an engine and tender, a saloon carriage and a brake van.
The Marchioness of Tweeddale turned on the steam and took the train over at ten miles per hour.
As I mentioned previously the report does not mention who the real crew was but the Marchioness was the person at the controls as it crossed the bridge.
See-
http://tinyurl.com/68l3lg

However another claim states William Inglis drove the first train across
http://tinyurl.com/6coywx

Cheers
Guy

Robert Masters
20-11-2008, 9:11 PM
Hi Lisa, I saw your message about the first train to cross the Forth Bridge the other day.
According to "family hearsay" my maternal Gt grandfather supposedly drove the first train across the Forth Bridge. His name was William McKinnon and he was an engine driver with the North British Railway. He lived at Springburn but I believe he was based at Cowlairs.
It is also claimed he drove the Royal train from Carlyle , in the time of Queen Victoria, on a couple of occasions.
Unfortuneatly, my cousin and I have been unable to trace any records of these events.
Have you had any response to your enquiry?
Regards Rob.

Robert Masters
20-11-2008, 9:18 PM

|laugh1| I have sent you a reply but not being familiar with this Forum the message may have gone astray! My Gt grandfather was William McKinnon and he drove the first train over the Forth Bridge according to family hearsay.
Regards Rob.

Jan1954
20-11-2008, 9:22 PM
Rob - Liza is no longer a member of the forum and so will not receive your response.

Robert Masters
09-12-2008, 3:43 PM
Unless he was the Marchioness of Tweedale it is fiction. ;)

The Forth Bridge was opened in 1890 on the 4th March by King Edward VII (as Prince of Wales). The first locomotive to drive across was No. 602 belogning to the North British Railway driven by the Marchioness of Tweedale.
Unfortunately my reference does not give the name of the real driver rather than the dignitary fronting the publicity.

PS. It also notes 1891 Forth Bridge opened for railway traffic, so it could be that this first was simply a ceremoninal drive of an engine across the bridge rather than the first train.

Another source states Although it was formally opened in 4 March 1890, the bridge was first used some weeks earlier, on 21 January. On that day two 1000ft long test trains each comprising a locomotive and 50 wagons, and each weighing 900 tons, rolled onto the bridge side by side from the south.
Cheers
Guy

I know that the official record, and press releases, state that the Chairman of the N.B.R. drove the first train over the Forth Bridge. Also that the then Prince of Wales (later King Edward V11) was on board and that he added the final rail nut and bolt in an opening ceremony.
There is also a record of an Engineer's Special that actually crossed the bridge on 22nd January 1890.
Apart from the above there must have been the first "goods train" and the first passenger train. I would be happy to know that my Gt grandfather was in the cab of any of these trains. Bob.

Robert Masters
09-12-2008, 3:55 PM
You might try the National Railways Museum http://www.nrm.org.uk/home/menu.asp
but you need to be quick as the research centre closes on 27 Jan for new building work

Geoffers

Thanks for the suggestion about The National Railways Museum.
I wrote to the museum (pen and paper) several years ago.
Sadly, they had no information about who drove the first train over the Forth Bridge other than the Chairman of the N.B.R. However, they did send me two photostat-copies of the engine that pulled the Royal Train when the Bridge was officially opened. Bob.|hug|