PDA

View Full Version : Website ~ Transfer to another host / server

Rove
01-01-2006, 7:36 AM
I need some info re this subject

I am refering to a 'Free' website

For example; I have a Free Website in Freewebs and I would like to transfer the Site or a copy of the Site to Geocities where I have an empty Free Site.

I do know that some servers do not allow this if your Site is a Free Site.

Has anyone done this task and tell me if I am correct in what I stated above.

If you have done so, is it a simple task ? Does all your pages, files and images transfer in one go ?

Also, if you have done this task can you mention the servers / hosts ans was your Site a Free Site ?

I greatly appreciate any help

Thanks

coenmfam
01-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Depends where you actually created the website, if you created it at home and used ftp to upload it to your server then it shouldnt be a problem

Nev

Peter Goodey
01-01-2006, 11:55 AM
I can't see the problem either. If the worst comes to the worst, it can be copied by ftp off the old server onto the hard disc and then uploaded to the new site.

Neil Wilson
01-01-2006, 12:13 PM
There shouldn't be a problem, like it has been said, it depends on how the original site was created. If you used one of the free web site's software to create the web pages, that could be a problem.
I have a number of web sites and one is 'mirrored' on a free site. The only hassle is the adverts on it.
Both are the same pages produced using Frontpage (Word 2000 originally). I use a FTP program called Bulletproof to publish to the servers, although you could use the FTP part of the creating software.
Neil

Rove
01-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks to each of you for the info and for your time

I have not used the server's site building tools. I can do HTML fairly well.

One thing that bugs me a lot. I cannot get some sort of a grip on using FTP
Somehow I cannot get it in my (stupid) head.

I have downloaded AceFTP 3 Freeware 3.01.0 a long time ago but do not know where to start. I have also bookmarked My FTP (this is NOT Free ) but they offer about trial 20 runs. These I cannot open cause a window / message tells me some file is missing. So I gave up on that.

My server is Optusnet.com and they also provide info help on FTP and I think so does Rootsweb in Freepages.

I created about 30 websites ( I only pay for 3 ) so I get lots of practice but it would be great if I could learn and use FTP.

How easy is it ? LOL

Bill in Melbourne

coenmfam
01-01-2006, 11:25 PM
If you use firefox 1.5 as your browser
there is a ftp extension

the home page of fireftp is here
http://fireftp.mozdev.org/

if you read the comments
you'll find one unhappy camper
might pay If you are going to trial this
to experiment on something less valuable first

hope this helps
Nev

( for those confused by all the jargon
http is hyper-text transfer protocol
and ftp is file transfer protocol )

Mark
02-01-2006, 1:59 AM
Doesn't Windows have ftp built-in anymore?

Just open up a command prompt and type ftp ...

Mark

Mythology
02-01-2006, 2:51 AM
"Just open up a command prompt and type ftp ..."

And ?

1) You have to *remember* your host server address, your username and your password, and type these in every time you log on.
2) You have to type out the full path of the file you want to upload - e.g., "C:\family_history\my_websites\smit\1871_census\dar lington.html" - oh bugger I made a typo, that should be "smith", back we go and correct it, never mind, we'll get there in the end.

Compared to an FTP program where you can store the host name, username and password, so less to remember and less to type, just click "Connect", then you can *see* the directory on your PC in one panel, and *see* the same directory on the server in the other panel, just highlight the file you want to upload instead of having to type it all out, click the button to transfer it, and there you are.

But if you want to do it the hard way just for the sake of being a purist and feeling superior .....

Peter Goodey
02-01-2006, 8:04 AM
"But if you want to do it the hard way..."

Come to that, Internet Explorer has FTP built in that some people might find more user-friendly.

But I still agree with Mythology and always use a purpose-made FTP program for preference. I gather that you can still get hold of the freeware edition of WS-FTP which is the one that I use.

Guy Etchells
02-01-2006, 9:10 AM
I use FTP Explorer

Easy to use, upload to different sites/servers as you wish. Upload multiple files at the same time, uploads in the background (you can even connect to a different server whilst it is still uploading files).

In my view the best FTP program available on earth.
Cheers
Guy
Forgot to say you can even set Netscape and Internet Explorer to use FTP Explorer instead of their built in FTP progs.

Neil Wilson
02-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I have downloaded AceFTP 3 Freeware 3.01.0 a long time ago but do not know where to start.
Bill in Melbourne
Bill - I tried AceFTP but like you did not know where to start with it, then I went with BulletProof and liked it as it was more user friendly. I did try the various FTP on programs but was also lost. I had also logged onto the servers from the address line in IP
There is nothing free with it, the small cost you pay for FTP programs gives benefits with support.
cheers
Neil

Rove
02-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks a lot guys

Every little bit helps and adds to encouragement to keep digging.

I think I've been at this problem for about 18 months now and could never make headway, so I keep forgeting about it.

Looking into my docs today I found many files that I copied on this subject.
Started reading some of them and again I lost my way.

I did find that at some stage I made some headway with the IE FTP and entered 6 files and a Folder, but were never transfered or the job was not completed to send these to me Site at Optusnet. They are still there. Had to do a touch up by changing my old password for my Optusnet account. So that is a tiny plus.

I shall keep at it, I mean my IE FTP set up but shall take Neil's tip of trying Bulletproof.

I dont know if any of you are in Rootschat. Some months back a member there " Berlin Bob " was chatting about this subject and said he was going to post a message giving '' very easy to follow '' detail about using FTP. He never did so.

Thanks for your help. Bill. (btw I'm using Windows 98 )