PDA

View Full Version : Rosneath - Inverness-shire

wombatultima
31-12-2005, 7:28 AM
Hi everyone

In looking at birth registrations of ancestors in Australia I found that one of them Norman Hume MacDonald as the father is always recorded as being born in Rosneath Inverness-shire. I have been unable to find a Rosneath (or Roseneath) there but did find one in Argyle.

Norman was born in 1830 and he is next found in Edinburgh 1839 as a Policeman. He marries Johan McKenzie Munro and they, and their first child Elizabrth, immagrate to Australia on the "Hornet" in 1854.

Can anyone help me locate records for Norman birth at least. His father was Godfrey mcDonald and mother Elizabeth Montgomery.

Bill Bell

Chasing Caseys
31-12-2005, 11:12 AM
Norman was born in 1830 and he is next found in Edinburgh 1839 as a Policeman :eek:

Have you searched scotlands people for this ? I get no result for Norman MacDonald but searching the years 1825-33 (without place search) Sir name McDonald
Parent 1 name McDonald
Parent 2 name Montgomery there are 3 results which i cant view as i have no credits left. But these could well be the ones found on the IGI ?

1. JOHN MCDONALD -Gender: Male Birth: 01 JAN 1830
2. JOHN MCDONALD - Gender: Male Christening: 23 NOV 1830 Strath, Inverness, Scotland
3. CHIRSTY MCDONALD - Gender: Female Birth: 01 NOV 1832
4. CHIRSTY MCDONALD - Gender: Female Christening: 12 DEC 1832 Strath, Inverness, Scotland
5. JAS. WM. MCDONALD - Gender: Male Birth: 03 JUN 1827
6. JAS. WM. MCDONALD - Gender: Male Christening: 12 NOV 1827 Strath, Inverness, Scotland

The 1841 /51 Scottish census will hopefully be on line in the new year sometime between January and February so they may reveal all to you if you dont already have them.

Good luck

wombatultima
15-01-2006, 12:35 AM
:eek:

Have you searched scotlands people for this ? I get no result for Norman MacDonald but searching the years 1825-33 (without place search) Sir name McDonald
Parent 1 name McDonald
Parent 2 name Montgomery there are 3 results which i cant view as i have no credits left. But these could well be the ones found on the IGI ?

1. JOHN MCDONALD -Gender: Male Birth: 01 JAN 1830
2. JOHN MCDONALD - Gender: Male Christening: 23 NOV 1830 Strath, Inverness, Scotland
3. CHIRSTY MCDONALD - Gender: Female Birth: 01 NOV 1832
4. CHIRSTY MCDONALD - Gender: Female Christening: 12 DEC 1832 Strath, Inverness, Scotland
5. JAS. WM. MCDONALD - Gender: Male Birth: 03 JUN 1827
6. JAS. WM. MCDONALD - Gender: Male Christening: 12 NOV 1827 Strath, Inverness, Scotland

The 1841 /51 Scottish census will hopefully be on line in the new year sometime between January and February so they may reveal all to you if you dont already have them.

Good luck
Hi Tracey

Like you I have no credits at Scotlands people and up to now the family has relied on the IGI and that is the same result as I get. I do not trust the IGI because there are major differences between official documentation, newspaper reports and the dates used in the IGI at least for the McDonald side of the family.

Norman Hume does not exist at all anywhere on the IGI.

Thanks for looking

Bill