PDA

View Full Version : STEPHENS & ADAMS from St Winnow, Cornwall

Burrow Digger
28-12-2005, 12:37 PM
I have some STEPHENS and ADAMS ancestors from St Winnow (between Fowey and Lostwithiel on the Fowey River).

Most of the parish records give the birthplace as St Winnow. But some actually say St Winnow with St Nighton. Is this a different place or not? Does it refer to a church? How do I interpret this name?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Burrow Digger

Scottie
28-12-2005, 1:15 PM
Most of the parish records give the birthplace as St Winnow. But some actually say St Winnow with St Nighton. Is this a different place or not? Burrow Digger
It is the same place and is normally referred to as St Winnow.

Burrow Digger
28-12-2005, 4:04 PM
Dedicated to St. Nectan, or Nighton, a Celtic hermit beheaded by pagan robbers in the 7th century, this tiny chapel has served the northern part of St. Winnow parish since before 1284. The building has undergone many changes: enlargements made in the last century were removed in the 1970's and the present chapel formed out of the old structure. It is still in regular use in the summer.

Well that makes sense. My STEPHENS families were living on Polmaugan & Busmaugan farms north of Lostwithiel, so for the children to be baptised at the closest church makes sense.

Thank you Scottie :)

BD