PDA

View Full Version : HARRIS/ Tingewick

Maud Jarvis
22-10-2004, 2:54 PM
Is there anyone else researching the Harris family from Tingewick Buckingham?
I traced back from my gt gt grandmother BENEDICTA HARRIS and have recently obtained the army record for her father BENJAMIN HARRIS
He was a soldier with the 14th Regiment of Foot in which he joined in 1812 and served with for 28 years.

Benjamin spent many years in the East Indies, and it is possible (I wonder) some of his children may have been born overseas? the only information I have for his children are so far that of Benedicta, she was baptised in Tingewick in 1814

So if anyone is researching Benjamin`s family or has information on him, I would be delighted to hear from you, to share our family history

Buckinghamster
08-10-2005, 4:42 PM
This is probably more negative than positive I'm afraid! Can confirm entry in Tingewick Parish register:
Baptism of Benedicta Harris on 23/4/1814, daughter of Benjamin, a Soldier, and Susanna.
Checked all other years between 1813 - 1841 and no further entries for HARRIS.
They were obviously not long in Tingewick and do not appear to have roots there, unless Susanna was a local girl - do you know her maiden name?

Geoffers
08-10-2005, 5:07 PM
BENJAMIN HARRIS...was a soldier with the 14th Regiment of Foot in which he joined in 1812 and served with for 28 years. Benjamin spent many years in the East Indies, and it is possible (I wonder) some of his children may have been born overseas?
You can check the regimental registers of births (1761 onwards) and Army Chaplains Returns of Births (1796 onwards) on 1837 online. You may well be able to trace some children there, especially those born abroad. The regimental registers include the father's regiment in the index. This may make it easier to pick out the Harris births which may be connected, especially if compared against the postings recorded in his servce record.

Geoffers

Paul Watts
08-10-2005, 11:34 PM
If you have not already found the following it may be of use to you:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tingewick/

Happy hunting

Paul