PDA

View Full Version : Puritans - Help!

DebbieAnn
27-12-2005, 8:45 PM
Is there any sort of list, anywhere, of those families that left between 1620 and 1640 because they were Puritans?

I have an ancestor named Thomas Orton who left sometime between 1621 and 1641, probably around 1635. The best guess is that he was from Leicestershire, and the original family name was Overton, or Ouerton (pronounced Orton), but I really don't know for sure. I know he was born around July, 1613.

Some sort of list by county would really have made all this a whole lot easier! |banghead|

He settled in Connecticut where he married in 1641. I have everything from that point on, but I'd really like to find his connection to where he originated from in England. Can anyone help?

Debbie

Geoffers
27-12-2005, 9:42 PM
Passengers for New England, Maryland and Virginia 1634-9 are listed in a collection of documents at The National Archives (TNA) inE157. The saving grace is that these have been included in the following published work:

J C HOTTEN, 'Original Lists of Persons emigrating to America, 1600-1700' It was published in 1874 so is not readily available in the shops - but - you might find a copy in a good reference library; or if you have a national library, it might be there.

The Norfolk Record Society publishes an annual volume, Vol.XXv was 'Transcript of Three Registers of Passengers from Great Yarmouth to Holland and New England, 1637-9.' by C B Jewson.

IF the person emigrating was a tenant in chief (basically a person who held land directly from the crown - a throwback to feudalism) and he disposed of that property before he emigrated, then he would need permission of the Crown to do so. This permission was known as a 'Licence to Alienate.' The records are again at TNA in doc.class A4.

Geoffers

Geoffers
27-12-2005, 9:51 PM
I should add that the sources I previously quoted aren't specifically concerned with puritans - but if you find someone whose details fit, then at least you have somewhere to begin searching.

If you think someone came from a specific county, it may be worthwhile looking at the Hearth Tax Returns, quite a few counties have some of these records transcribed. Although these begin in the 1660's; the idea is that if some of yor chap's family stayed behind, they or their descendents may appear in the returns and so again, you'd have a parish/area to begin looking for more evidence.

Geoffers

DebbieAnn
28-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Oh, thank you, you WONDERFUL man, you!!! I will see if we have a copy at our National Archives in Ottawa.

Thomas evidently came over with a good bit of means. He was known in Connecticut as being VERY WELL HEELED, and his was the 4th largest estate in the area. He left a great deal of acreage to his family just before he died, and it is presumed he had financial backing from home. How would I go about locating the Hearth Tax Returns - are they on-line?

Debbie

Geoffers
28-12-2005, 9:27 AM
Thomas evidently came over with a good bit of means

It's possibly worth hunting for wills relating to the family in England. These will be found in different locations according to which church court had jurisdiction.

The supreme court was the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC). Their wills can be found online (index free, you pay to view the original document)
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/campaign/docsonline.htm?source=docsonline

Under that was the Prerogative Court of York (PCY), then Diocesan Courts and Archdeaconry Courts. The rule being that a will was proved at the lowest court, if someone had property in one Archdeaconry then that court dealt with the will. If the person held property in two archdeaconries within one diocese then the diocesan court dealt with it. Property in more than one diocese and the Province (York or Canterbury) dealt with it.

Continued......

Geoffers
28-12-2005, 9:37 AM
part 2.....

The availalability of wills depends on the county dealing with it. My own county of main interest is Norfolk, the record office has a great online catalogue and is very good at providing photocopies at very reasonable prices. Other counties are not quite so helpful. It's a case of checking each county record office web-site in whcih you are interested.

How would I go about locating the Hearth Tax Returns - are they on-line?
If they've been filmed then they they may be available via the mormon centres. These original documents are in variable condition and can take some time to work through. Originals are held by TNA.

I believe that the only county for which any transcripts are online is Norfolk; but I may be wrong.

Many counties have transcribed some of the Hearth Tax returns and published them. I believe the Isle of Wight RO has a complete transcript of all returns for the Isle. It's a case of looking at each county's FHS web-site in turn and seeing what they have available.

Geoffers