PDA

View Full Version : Scruby Family Sibford Ferris

jabscrooby
27-12-2005, 5:51 PM
I am trying to find any information on a Sarah Scruby born in Cropredy in 1818 the Daughter of John and Rhoda Scruby who were living in Sibford Ferris in 1841 although she was not living with them then.
She had two Children out of wedlock,Eliza Rhoda born 1844 and Andrew Edward born 1846 although he used his second name Edward.
In the 1851 census her Children are living with her Parents so had she died or married?
In 1861 her son is living with his Aunt but no Sarah or her daughter Eliza, can anyone help me to find out what happened to them?

janbooth
28-12-2005, 10:25 AM
I don't know if you already have the baptismal details of Sarah's children, but in case not, they are as follows:

From OFHS PR transcript of Sibford Ferris

16 June 1844 Eliza Rhoda SCRUBY daur of Sarah SCRUBY, Sibford Ferris,
spinster
4 October 1846 Andrew Edwards SCRUBY son of Sarah SCRUBY, Sibford
Ferris, spinster

There is also a marriage on 31 January 1866 of an Edward SCRUBY, aged 20,
bachelor, labourer, Sibford Ferris, nullius filia to Dorcas
RIMELL, aged 21, spinster, Sibford Ferris, daughter of
William, labourer

No marriage for Eliza Rhoda at Sibford, nor burials for Sarah or Eliza there either.

However, there is this Eliza SCRUBY in the 1861 census of Woundale, Shropshire:

PRO Ref: RG9/1851, folio 58, page 26
Schedule 25, Chyknell House

Eliza SCRUBY Serv Un 19 House Maid Oxfordsh Sibfort

She is in the household of a Henry TAYLOR, an unmarried 39 years old Esquire Magistrate. Could this be her?? I can't find her in the 1871 census, so perhaps she married. Hope this helps.

Janet.

Popsrekrap
28-12-2005, 1:09 PM
How strange, there I am doing a bit of family research and I make a note of a marriage in 1889 Adderbury (pr oxf-ban02) between John Parker Bach Coachman & Sarah Nicholls wid dau of Edward Scruby. The witnesses were John Scruby & Louisa Fox

Hope this helps.

jabscrooby
28-12-2005, 3:31 PM
Your replies have been a great help,Eliza in Shropshire could be Sarah's Daughter I have looked for a marriage or death in both counties but no luck as yet.
I had found the marriage of Edward's Daughter Sarah but not her husband's occupation or the witnesses.
Many thanks.