PDA

View Full Version : Harpenden schools, 1901

Lenore
27-12-2005, 3:44 AM
Hello folks,

I'm trying to learn more of the career of James Russell, schoolmaster, who was in the 1901 Census at "Harpenden Urban". He was aged 55, born in Othery Somerset, with a probable wife Alice, 43, and 4 children.

In 1875-76 he was the proprietor of a gentleman's school called Lonsdale House in Bridgewater, Somerset. In 1881 he had been the principal Silesia College in Chipping Barnett with 75 boarders. I'm wondering if anyone could suggest the name of some schools at Harpenden where he might have taught?

This is not a family history enquiry, so I'm doing it on the cheap without buying documents. I am hoping someone might have a history of Harpenden on their bookshelves that might assist.

With thanks,

Lenore Frost
Essendon, Vic, Australia

Ken Boyce
27-12-2005, 9:30 PM
Hi Lenore

There are a few things to take into account when tracing this teacher.

If the ref to Harpenden is to the 1901 Civil Registration Sub-district of Harpenden this covers a much larger area than just the village of Harpenden. The census area covered by this sub-district (of St Albans Reg Dist) includes the villages of Kinsbourne Green, Wheathamstead, Sandridge, and Redborn, as well as Harpenden.

If the ref is to the Harpenden Rural District then this is a much smaller area which was formed in Oct 1897 when the old Harpenden Parish area was divided into two administrative districts The Rural District was comprised of Harpenden Bury, Hammond’s End, Cooter’s End, Kinsbourne Green and Annables and Turner’s Hall. The remainder of the Parish formed the new Harpenden Urban District

If you have the 1901 census information you should be able to pinpoint James’s actual location on census night. He could be in private residence which may or may not be in the same census sub district or parish as the school. Or he could be in residence at a school.

There is also the possibility if he is in a private residence that he could be retired with no association with a local school. You really need to get the complete data from the 1901 census return to be sure.

You could try Google for schools at each of the above mentioned villages. There is a 1902 Herts Directory accessible online at the Univ of Leicester that may give more details and possibly list him if he is a principle of a local school (or in the private residence list).

Hope this helps

Regards

Lenore
28-12-2005, 6:04 AM
Hi Ken,

That did help enormously, particularly the tip about the directory. I have now found James Russell, BA at New College, Rosebery Ave, Harpenden.

I haven't been able to find anything on Google, and there are no later Herts directories, so if he renamed his New College with something more enticing, I'm still in the dark. But moving inexorably foreward.

I know what you are saying re inspecting the census image, but there are some sorts of research I have to draw a line at paying for. This is not family history, and it is for someone else, so the line is drawn at paying for census images. I'll just keep nudging forward with what I can find online, and hope some folks have some references they won't mind checking at home, or will allow me to pick their brains, as you did.

Thanks a mill |biggrin|,

Lenore

Procat
28-12-2005, 7:36 AM
Hi Lenore,

1901 image emailed to you using Ancestry share facility.

Civil parish: Harpenden
Ecclesiatical parish: Harpenden St Nicholas
Town: Harpenden
County/Island: Hertfordshire

Source information: RG13/1310
Registration district: St Albans
Sub-registration district: Harpenden
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Folio: 35
Page: 22
Household schedule number: 115

Lenore