PDA

View Full Version : Matthews family in Plymouth and West Country

ALISON WILLMOTT
25-12-2005, 5:05 AM
Looking for help, ancestors and descendants of the following:
John Matthews (occupation Cooper) had 1 known child Matthew Matthews (born C1825/1826 in the workhouse Minchinhampton, Gloucestershire). His mother was Phoebe Matthews. He married Ann Nicholson (late McConnell) in 1848 East Stonehouse, Devonport, he was a seaman. Ann's first husband had been William McConnell also a mariner, son of George McConnell. He had married Ann in 1841 in Stoke Dameral and died in 1847 in Plymouth/Devonport. They had 1 known child Elizabeth.
Matthew and Ann had 3 known children, Ann/Mary Ann (born 1854 Devonport), John (born C1859 Branscombe, Devon) Matthew George (born C1861 Maryport, Cumberland). The reason the children were born in different parts of the country was that Matthew had left the Royal Navy and worked for the Coastguard.
By 1881 (and possibly 1971) they were living in Bristol and by then Matthew (senior) was a Naval Pensioner. Matthew George was still living with parents and working for a watchmakers.
Ann Matthews (my 3 x great grandmother) I believe was in Minehead, Somerset in 1871 but returned to Bristol by the time she married in 1878 to Frederick John Ward.
I have found Matthew Matthews (senior) in the 1851 census Plymouth, 1861 in Maryport and 1881 in Bristol.