PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Marriage

kmdward
24-12-2005, 12:04 AM
My grandparents were Gerald McCraith born 24 Feb 1909 in West Melbourne, Victoria and Ellen Pearl Watson born 21 Aug 1906 in Whittlesea, Victoria. They married on the 24 Dec 1930, Gerald was a shop assistant and Ellen a confectioner, they went on to have two suriving children.
Does anyone else have a Christmas event in their family, to celebrate at this time of year.

Trish
24-12-2005, 12:32 AM
...Does anyone else have a Christmas event in their family, to celebrate at this time of year.Well, no, not in my family. But I don't want to feel left out...

Does this count? In the 1970s, Margaret Trudeau, the then wife of the prime minister of Canada, the late Right Honourable Pierre Elliott Trudeau, managed to give birth to sons on Christmas Day two years apart. The electorate was impressed and his popularity rating went up -- briefly.

Trish

Fulhamster
24-12-2005, 12:40 AM
My grandparents were Gerald McCraith born 24 Feb 1909 in West Melbourne, Victoria and Ellen Pearl Watson born 21 Aug 1906 in Whittlesea, Victoria. They married on the 24 Dec 1930, Gerald was a shop assistant and Ellen a confectioner, they went on to have two suriving children.
Does anyone else have a Christmas event in their family, to celebrate at this time of year.
I have some rellies who married on Christmas day at Putney Church. The one by the river.

Colin Moretti
24-12-2005, 9:55 AM
My maternal grandparents married at St James Church, Pentonville, on 25 Dec 1904.

I have fond memories of grandad, but grandma died just a few months after I was born; I was taken to her local church for baptism so that she could be present.

Colin

Rove
24-12-2005, 10:27 AM
One of my wife's cousins was born Christmas Day 1927 and he got married on Christmas Day 1950.

If I am correct, as you go along doing Family History Research, you'll come across many couples who married on the 25th of Dec.

I read that the reason for marrying on that date was because it was the only day of the year that both had time to do so.

Of course there must have been some other reason.

Geoffers
24-12-2005, 10:43 AM
A gt gt grandmother, maiden name of BLOOM had a cousin who was born on 25th December and so given the forename of Christmas. I don't know why, but reading the name Christmas Bloom made me smile; it just seems to fit well.

Geoffers

Peter Goodey
24-12-2005, 10:45 AM
There are several Christmas Day marriages in my tree. I don't want to be a wet blanket but it's no great shakes. There were actually some good social and religous reasons for Christmas marriages. It's quite an interesting topic. You might like to see this thread -
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.genealogy.britain/browse_frm/thread/6e83a1ca9bc92cd9/de8119f3e639c2ea?q=%22christmas+day%22&rnum=3#de8119f3e639c2ea

Read the whole thread to make sense of it. It's quite amusing in parts and you may recognise the names of some of the participants. Eve McLaughlin is an experienced and respected genealogist some of whose books you may even have in your possession.

elldrick
24-12-2005, 11:37 AM
My Husband and I will be celebrating our 47th anniversary on Boxing day.

The reason we got married on that day, it was the only one in the whole year available. Every other day was fully booked and we had found a very small flat for rent. Flats or rooms to rent were like gold dust in the fifties.

My husband worked in the building industry it was classed as casual work then, so no chance of getting a mortage!

Happy Holiday
Ellen

Geoffers
24-12-2005, 12:02 PM
My Husband and I will be celebrating our 47th anniversary on Boxing day.
and they said it would never last....;)

Congratulations for Boxing Day

Geoffers
(minor technical point, but does this mean you have a big Christmas meal - and - a celebratory binge on Boxing Day too!! - just curious)

Chasing Caseys
24-12-2005, 2:58 PM
Yep, my grandparents married on 25th December 1922. They had a double wedding with my nans sister.

elldrick
24-12-2005, 3:54 PM
Thank you Geoffers

No, With 3 children and their partners, 4 grandchildren and their girl/boyfriends we number 16 now. so one large meal is more than enough.

They all pop in on christmas morning then go off to do their own things, but yes, I have to say we really do celebrate when we get together on Boxing Day!!

Ellen

JNicLiam
25-12-2005, 12:36 AM
My grandmother Anne Cotter (nee Quaid) was born 22 December 1890. Her daughter Carmel was born 25 December 1926 and her son Noel on New Year's Day 1923. My brother's son Ivan was also born on 25 December, and my own eldest daughter although due on 25th December was born on the 23rd. With so many family birthdays so close to Christmas we hold any (non-family) party at the half year, so for example my daughter has always had her birthday party (for friends) on 23rd June.

Ron Leech
25-12-2005, 8:26 AM
A great aunt of mine was born 25th December 1874 and married 25th December 1897.

Sheleen
22-01-2006, 12:38 AM
My nan married her first husband on Boxing day, 1935. 12 days before their fifth wedding anniversary, Albert (her husband) was killed on board ship.
She remarried my granddad years later, and they had a wonderful marriage until my grandfather passed away.... boxing day 1994. She never mentioned that this was her first marriages' wedding anniversary, and I think it is quite sad that she must have felt so unhappy on this day.

I'm putting a downer on the proceedings...apologies.
One thing I can say...
all three of my children were concieved on Christmas Eve.... lol