PDA

View Full Version : Cavner

Sandra Parker
21-12-2005, 8:09 PM
Just started on a search for dear friends. Does anyone have a Cavner in their tree? The only thing I 'know' is George Hart Cavner, born Leicester 14th July 1909, mother Kate Thorne (born C1881) married an Edward Cavner in 1900. I think the family lived in Gravel Street Leicester.
Would appreciate any thoughts before I head off into census etc. I have 1881 families.
Thanks.
Sandra
Darwin

Peter Goodey
21-12-2005, 8:44 PM
Cavner is an interesting name. My 19th century surname atlas suggests that there were remarkably few families with that name, with quite a knot of them in the Leicester area - but you knew that already.

I'd be inclined to suspect that it simply a variant of the very much more common Cavanagh / Kavanagh etc. I wonder what others think?

Sharron
21-12-2005, 8:50 PM
Hi Sandra,

I don't have them in my tree, but the 1901 has Edward's family in St Margaret's parish in Leicester, at 11 New Road:

Edward Cavner/head/23/fish hawker
Kate Cavner/wife/20/wool spinner [poss]
Sarah Cavner/daughter/1

They were all born in Leicester. Edward was working on his own account, so I wonder if he was like the guy who goes round the pubs in this neck of the woods selling cockles and mussels in vinegar, etc.

Hope this helps,

Sharron

Peter Goodey
21-12-2005, 8:51 PM
Perhaps that was all a bit too obvious! I now realise that the website of the Clann Chaomhánach does indeed claim Cavner as a variant. Perhaps I had better go and watch the TV instead :o

Sharron
21-12-2005, 8:52 PM
Ooh, no, Peter. I was watching BBC2 and it almost sent me to sleep. James May talking about toys from the 60's and 70's!

Stay here!

Peter Goodey
21-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Hey Sharron....I want to ask about your cockle man. I haven't seen a cockle man in decades...I didn't think they still existed!

PS I decided there was nothing on TV. 300 channels and still there's nothing on :confused:

Sandra Parker
21-12-2005, 10:40 PM
That's what I love about this site. So many people ready and willing to genuinely help, and you never know where the thread will actually take you.
Cockle men, 60's toys and still nothing on TV - absolutely wonderful.
Thanks
Sandra

Wirral
21-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Nothing on tv? When "Rome" has been on & "Lost" is on in 30 mins? Having said that, 50& of what I watch is on a Wednesday night.

Getting back to your Cavners, no personal connection at all to them, but have you got the family in the 1871, 1861 & 1851 census yet?

Wirral
21-12-2005, 10:48 PM
I haven't seen a cockle man in decades...I didn't think they still existed!

:confused:Peter, you need to be around my neck of the woods (New Brighton, like Sharron). Last spotted the cockle man at "Moodi Blu" on Victoria Road.

Also found Caveners in 1841. Richard Cavener, born abt 1812, Hythe Kent, living in St Margarets, Leicester + family.

Sharron
21-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Hey Sharron....I want to ask about your cockle man. I haven't seen a cockle man in decades...I didn't think they still existed!There is a guy who visits my local on Friday/Saturday nights, that I remember from when I used to go clubbing, which was way back in the early to mid-80's!

He looks exactly the same, but do I ....................?

Sharron
21-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Last spotted the cockle man at "Moodi Blu" on Victoria Road.God! Even I haven't been there. Don't feel trendy enough. Maybe I should wear a white coat and carry a large whicker basket!

Or maybe I should just call you up, we can meet for a drink, and we can bitch about Peter !!! ;)

Sharron
21-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Nothing on tv? When "Rome" has been on & "Lost" is on in 30 mins? I missed the first episode of Rome, and also of Lost. I don't like coming to stuff late. But I tried with episode 2 of Rome, because Ciaran Hinds is just one of the most spectacular examples of masculinity there has ever been! But couldn't get into it. It was, oh, hello, who are you, here's a very sharp dagger in your solar plexus. No ta.

Peter Goodey
21-12-2005, 11:35 PM
"and we can bitch about Peter "

And here was I thinking I hadn't done anything wrong today. I mean I haven't even tried to wind anyone up. :confused:

Still you go and have a drink and some cockles and if I'm all you can find to moan about...|cheers|

Sandra Parker
23-12-2005, 6:51 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, and glad you've enjoyed the peripheral stuff as well! It sounds like our tv isn't any better! I haven't anything other than the 1881 census, and thanks to Wirral, the 1841, which possibly gets the family 'to Leicester'. I have also found NA war service records for a few Cavners, amd references in a couple of Directories. They all seem to be involved with Fish as fishmongers, fish friers and poulterers, and even a grocer. They had shops too. So maybe they did 'hawk' cockles, and mussels, alive, alive -o! etc.
Sandra, Darwin

Happy Christmas to All, and Best Wishes for an Ancestrally successful New Year!|cheers| |cheers| !