PDA

View Full Version : Clyne/Cline Berwick

Rachel2
20-12-2005, 6:42 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum - don't know how I haven't found it before as I have been hunting for Berwick information for about 2 years.
Our Clyne ancestors have been the biggest puzzle. If it all sounds confusing it is because I am confused! Now I wonder if I just can't see the wood for the trees.
It all began with grandmother:
1881 census, Eyemouth
James Collin, 2mths, born Berwick
REBECCA COLLIN, 25, wife, born Berwick
William Collin, head, 26, born Eyemouth, fisherman
MARY ANN MCLEAN [Collin], 6yrs, stepdaughter [to William Collin], born Berwick [our grandmother]
REBECCA MCLEAN, married, 76, mother in law, Garelockhead, Dunbarton, Visitor
--------------------
Rebecca and William were married 1879 [3/4yrs after Mary Ann's birth] - Free Church of Scotland, Eyemouth
--------------------
1881 Berwick
Michael Cline, head, 23, born berwick, ag. lab
Janet Cline, wife 24, born Cornhill,
Isabella Cline, dau, 5, born Tweedmouth
James Cline, son, 6mths, born Berwick
MICHAEL CLINE, father, 75, born Ireland, hawker
--------------------
When Mary Ann Clyne Collin got married [in Berwickshire] in 1901 her parents were given as William Collin and REBECCA MCLEAN [both still alive]; on her death cert., it says mother, REBECCA CLYNE and father, W. Collin.
--------------------
MARY ANN's mother REBECCA and uncle [also Michael] had their births/christenings recorded in the R.C. Church books: Rebecca - 25 Jan 1857- mother, Dogherty
Michael - 5 June 1857 to Michael and Rebecca Clyne [Dogherty].
'Old' Michael died in Ayton [prob. staying with young Michael] and 'old' Rebecca died in Berwick workhouse. This Rebecca is also Cleghorn on another certificate just to confuse the issue.
----------------------
My reason for writing here is that I cannot find a record of Mary Ann's birth in Berwick and aparn Berwick [our grandmother]
REBECCA MCLEAN, married, 76, mother in law, Garelockhead, Dunbarton, Visitor
--------------------
Rebecca and William were married 1879 [3/4yrs after Mary Ann's birth] - Free Church of Scotland, Eyemouth
--------------------
1881 Berwick
Michael Cline, head, 23, born berwick, ag. lab
Janet Cline, wife 24, born Cornhill,
Isabella Cline, dau, 5, born Tweedmouth
James Cline, son, 6mths, born Berwick
MICHAEL CLINE, father, 75, born Ireland, hawker
--------------------
When Mary Ann Clyne Collin got married [in Berwickshire] in 1901 her parents were given as William Collin and REBECCA MCLEAN [both still alive]; on her death cert., it says mother, REBECCA CLYNE and father, W. Collin.
--------------------
MARY ANN's mother REBECCA and uncle [also Michael] had their births/christenings recorded in the R.C. Church books: Rebecca - 25 Jan 1857- mother, Dogherty
Michael - 5 June 1857 to Michael and Rebecca Clyne [Dogherty].
'Old' Michael died in Ayton [prob. staying with young Michael] and 'old' Rebecca died in Berwick workhouse. This Rebecca is also Cleghorn on another certificate just to confuse the issue.
----------------------
My reason for writing here is that I cannot find a record of Mary Ann's birth in Berwick and apart from the 1881 census I cannot find Michael and Rebecca [the elder] with their children Michael and Rebecca.
Is there anyone at all who can please put me on the straight and narrow again about where I should be looking or show me what I may have missed? My sanity needs you!!
Rachel2