PDA

View Full Version : Help with 1871 piece ref please

busyglen
19-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Some time ago I was trying to trace my husbands gt. grandfather John Peters and his wife Ann. See here for part I am interested in:

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=8394#post8394

It has been a bit of a long haul and I have the marriage cert now, and am attempting to go back and find John's family, and am currently scouring the 1871 Census for Devonport (ACDB). I have found John and mother and sister, on piece 2138 and thought I would also try and look for Ann Murray, who was a widow when she married John. In the above posting, Karen found Ann and husband William and daughter Bessie, and I am trying to find them. At that time, I wasn't sure that this was the Ann I was looking for, but now I have confirmation on the marriage cert. However, there are SO many pieces to this Census that it's like looking for a needle in a haystack! Is there someone with access to an index that could give me the piece number please? I would be so grateful.

Glenys

Trish
19-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Glenys,

Is this the reference you need.... RG10/2139 Folio 113 Page 56?

Trish

busyglen
19-12-2005, 6:26 PM
Glenys,

Is this the reference you need.... RG10/2139 Folio 113 Page 56?

Trish
Thank you so much Trish, you are a star!! :) Yes this is the one, although I wasn't too sure when I was given the info last year. I can now progress several steps further and enjoy searching the rest of the CD for clues on other family members at my leisure.

You have saved me hours of searching! |hug|

Glenys

Trish
19-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Happy to help, Glenys. Merry/Happy Christmas!

Trish

busyglen
20-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Happy to help, Glenys. Merry/Happy Christmas!

Trish

Merry Christmas to you too Trish |wave|

Glenys

Burrow Digger
21-12-2005, 3:29 AM
If you need easy & frequent access to the 1871 & 1841 census CDs - you might want to consider doing what I've done. Which is to pay a subscription to British Origins (about 15 GBP per year). Their transcriptions make things a LOT easier. Of course they are not perfect, but it sure does beating scrolling all those pages. :D

I use the transcriptions to find the family, and the CD's to confirm ther names & details. :)

The money I paid has been repaid in time saved over and over again.

BD

busyglen
21-12-2005, 9:50 AM
Thanks for that BD.

I quite enjoy scanning through the census pages normally as you never know who will turn up. On this occasion, I knew the person I wanted and that they had been found before, but I couldn't make a definate link at that time, so really wanted to shortcut it to get on with my next stage. I've already started going through from the beginning and think I may have found another family that links with one of the daughters of John Peters, so I will continue the search as I hadn't though of this name to start with.

I can see that this could be a saving, but as I only have two families (to my knowledge) in Devon I try to keep the cost down as much as possible. I wish I could afford to take up all the subs. and buy all of the CD's that I want, but they all have to take their turn. :(

Thanks for the tip though. :)

Glenys

Terry
21-12-2005, 2:35 PM
Hi Folks, please remember the joint DFHS/FreeCEN volunteer projects which are ongoing for both the 1841 and 1861 Devon census. The 1861 already has over 50 pieces online and the DFHS have produced index booklets to each piece, which are available at very little cost from the Society.
The 1841 is progressing well and we hope to have the first pieces completed very early in the new year.
The 1891 Devon census is complete and online at FreeCEN.

If you want to help get these census complete please consider volunteering to help- We urgently need people to check transcriptions, from fiche for the 1861 and from CD for the 1841.