PDA

View Full Version : Barkers and Wards of Harwich

barryandrews_1
16-12-2005, 8:07 PM
I am looking into family connections of the Barker and Ward families of the Harwich area of Essex.

Any info could be of help.

I have William Arthur Barker in the 1901 census married to Emily (Marchant) well I think that is who she is at present.

One of their children Sidney Clifton Barker married Vera Ward in 1934.

A cousin of Sidney, Stanley Barker married Vera's sister Dora Ward in 1939.

I need the name of what I assume is William Arthur Barker's brother (father of Stanley) and a reference in them 1891 1881 and even the 1871 censuses.

All help appreciated
Barry

Lynda Cunningham
17-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi Barry :)

To be certain of finding the correct Barker families we'll need more facts.
You mention the Harwich area, can you be more specific?
What was their address in 1901, when & where were they born?
When was Sidney's birth, his certificate will provide his mother's maiden name, as you are uncertain that Emily Marchant is correct.
I assume your thoughts on her stem from the entry on FreeBMD?

Marriages Sep 1893
Barker William Arthur Tendring 4a 749
Marchant Emily Tendring 4a 749

best wishes
Lynda

barryandrews_1
17-12-2005, 8:01 PM
Lynda,
Thanks for your reply. I am sorry I misslead you I have the birth cert for Sidney C Barker and a Marriage for William A Barker and Emily Marchant as per the reference you gave.
Sidney Clifton Barker was born 12 Sep 1910 mother was Emily Marchant, father William Arthur Barker. They married in 1893 if I have the correct marriage certificate for them. They married in All Staints church upper Dovercourt. It is the details on the Marriage certificate that has caused some confusion for me. Emily's father is given as John Marchant a Shoemaker - not Jonathan Marchant a Gardener or agricultural worker as expected (That is what appears on all census info if I have the correct Marchant family) I cannot seem to locate another Emily Marchant with a father John of the correct age.
William's father is William Barker - deceased, also a shoemaker!

In 1901 William and Emily were living at 55 Manor Road, Dovercourt.
I am trying to get a sight of Dora's marriage certificate (she is still alive and a little confused) That should give the name of William Arthur Barker's Brother I hope.
Barry

ChristineR
18-12-2005, 1:31 AM
Jonathon and John can be easily used for each other, and I also have a Harwich shoemaker who ended up a labourer in latter years. There seemed to be an excess of them in Harwich. It always seems to be the girls that would quote the more superior occupation at their marriages, even though dad at the time might be digging ditches.

In the absence of another family, I would say you have the right ones.

Christine

ChristineR
18-12-2005, 11:19 AM
The 1881 census is online through the LDS web site.
I had a look, and there are only the three Emily MARCHANT entries in Essex - two the same family. One Emily with the father Jonathan - a gardener. Is your Emily consistently shown as born Ramsey in later census? and Jonathon as Little Oakley. There is an Emily exactly the same age, but her mother Emily is widowed. Perhaps someone can find her in the 1871 with a husband's name.

Christine

ChristineR
18-12-2005, 11:59 AM
further to above, I had a look in my 1861 for Essex - I think I have located this particular Jonathan - as John.

RG 9/1095 Folio 150, page 11
Household sched: 61
White House (was the last address mentioned on previous page)
Ramsey

Richard MARCHANT, Head, Mar, 50, Ag Lab, Essex, Little Oakley
Hannah do, mar, 39, ag lab's wife, Essex, Ramsey
John do, 14, ag lab, Essex, Little Oakley
George do, 6, scholar, Essex, Ramsey
Angelina do, 2, ag lab's dau, Essex, Ramsey
Thomas WORTH, lodger, unm, 38, ag lab, Suffolk

In Little Oakley there was a 7 year old John MARCHANT, too young.
In Harwich there was a 46 year old John MARCHANT, labourer, too old? I do not think I missed another there. Unless this John picked up an apprenticeship pretty quickly I do not see how he could ever be a shoemaker.

Also, you need to consider that a mistake in transcription has happened along the way - an error where the same occupation was given to both fathers.

Another way you could check his occupation is to see if there is a baptism for Emily - LDS have the film for Church of England baptisms to 1977. You could also get someone to doublecheck the marriage entry in the Parish register at the Essex Record Office since you have the exact date - LDS also would have it on film.

Christine
Australia

barryandrews_1
19-12-2005, 9:50 AM
ChristineR,
Thanks for your thoughts and info.
The Emily Barker (nee Marchant) only appears at 55 Manor Road Dovercourt in the 1901 Census.
The marriage Certificate I have obtained for William Arthur Barker and Emily Marchant is dated 16th Sept 1893.
All references I have about Emily and her father, Jonathon Marchant, are from the Census records.
In each record with Jonathon he is named as Jonathon and is an agricultural worker or gardener.
I to had found the census with John Marchant and it is the only time he is refered to as John even the 1851 census shows him as Jonathon at age 4.
My main problem is the tracing of William Arthur Barker and his father William Barker deceased by 1893.
There is a possible William Barker in the 1891 census as a soldier at the Redoubt in Harwich. Age is about right but Little Oakley not Great Oakley. I know they are not miles apart but!
Barry