PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Edinburgh Forum

Chris Stokes
22-10-2004, 9:23 AM
Hi
This forum is designed to cover the city of Edinburgh.
If your family history revolves around Edinburgh then this is your place.
My own family came from all over Scotland - Highlands and Lowlands - to the city. My father's family was from the Highlands, Sutherland and Inverness-shire - they arrived in the city in the 1890s. My mother's maternal family originated in Paisley but by the mid 1800s were firmly established in Edinburgh. Her paternal family originated from Peebles and seem to have been established in Edinburgh by around 1860.
I will post full details of names etc on separate threads.
Edinburgh is a wonderful city - I was born there!
Look forward to lots of queries on here and lots of help from all to all.
Welcome aboard.

Maud Jarvis
22-10-2004, 9:27 PM
My gt grandfather originated in Edinburgh, and I do not know very much about his family, I wonder, is there anyone else out there researching Grant???

My gt grandfather was GEORGE NELSON GRANT Born 1841, St Cuthberts Edinbuegh
his parents were

JOHN GRANT married EUPHEMIA NELSON Oct 1841, St Cuthberts

The next information I managed to trace for Euphemia is that she appeared on the 1881 census, bring remarried to James Martin.

Having traced their marriage, she married him in 1861, they had a son Robert born 1862, Robert married Helen McKenzie in 1887
Wonder, did they have any children, any descendants out there to share our family history??

Euphemia has been listed sometimes as surname Nielson and not Nelson, whether these are errors made in the spelling of her name I do not know, made it very difficult tracing her!
Also in 1881, her grandaughter Effie Grant (George Nelson`s dau) was living with her

Euphemia died in 1894 at Blacket Place Lodge, St Cuthberts.

I do not have much information about Euphemia, except that her father was George Nelson

I would love to know more about her/family, anyone who has any information, I would be over the moon to hear from you!!?