PDA

View Full Version : Dress Maker.

Francis Calvert
15-12-2005, 3:36 PM
During the course of my research into the Calvert side of my family, I have discovered that they owned Ropeworks in Wrenthorpe near Wakefield.The owner at the time was Called Gerorge Calvert Later on one of his sons would carry on the business. His name was William on the 1861 census he is 14 years old, and his occupation is given as a Dressmaker. I was wondering whether apart from being somone who makes dresses or even another name for a tailor, whether it could also be a technical term used in Rope making?

Can anyone help me?

Francis Calvert.

Wirral
15-12-2005, 3:56 PM
I've had a look at the image & William is described as a "Dresser", followed by 2 words, the first of which is "of" & the 2nd I can't make out, but it might begin with "H" & have 3 letters. These last 2 words may have been added later, or the enumerator's pen might just have been running out - the strokes are thinner, but there are ink blobs over them.
Maybe the occupation is like that of a Stone Dresser? Or someone who finishes off the rope?

Francis Calvert
15-12-2005, 4:19 PM
Wirral,

Thanks for looking you are probably right. I thought it seemed odd. what you say about a Rope "dresser" would seem to make sense. Thanks for the quick response. You have been a big help. I will let you know if I find anything else out with regards to this matter. thanks once again.

Francis.

Ladkyis
15-12-2005, 8:04 PM
could it be dresser of hemp? because that seems to fit and ropes were made of hemp weren't they?
Just trying to think laterally
Ann

uksearch
16-12-2005, 12:45 PM
could it be dresser of hemp? because that seems to fit and ropes were made of hemp weren't they?
Just trying to think laterally
Ann
Sounds and looks a good guess to me.

UK