PDA

View Full Version : John Gunn of Loanhead

Marrel
14-12-2005, 6:59 AM
Hello
I am looking for information on John GUNN, Garfield Cottage, Loanhead.
He is mentioned in the will of Christina McLeod as a nephew and could be a link to another sibling of Christina.
Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

joette
14-12-2005, 11:43 AM
What dates?any clue to age e.g. had he reached his majority? Which was 21 until recently(for that read thirty years or so )
Any sightings on the IGI,SP?Tell us what you know about the family so we can steer you in the right direction.
For research in Scotland a lot is searchable online mainly through SCOTLAND SPEOPLE & Freecen etc.Also the Lothians Family History Society is online & you could try posting there.
Hope this helps,usually it is better to give more info than you think neccesarry-without making it WAR&PEACE.

Marrel
16-12-2005, 3:58 AM
Thanks for the reply

Christina was born at Marrel, Sutherland in 1830 to William McLEOD and Janet MURRAY.She died in 1911, a spinster.
I have not found a likely marriage of McLEOD -GUNN on the IGI but think that there may have been a sister that I have not found, who married a GUNN.
If this is the case, I think James would have been born about 1840+/-.

I plan to have a search on Scotlands People in the holidays to see if the address shows any names on the census.

Thanks

Mary Young
16-12-2005, 9:24 AM
You said "James was born +-1840", did you mean the nephew, JOHN GUNN? It was Christina's brother who was named JAMES (born 1833).
Bear in mind, there may not have been a marriage! It was very common in Sutherland, for an illegitimate child to use his father's name throughout life - even if the father didn't acknowledge the child.

Marrel
16-12-2005, 8:13 PM
You are correct.

It should have read "John Gunn was born about 1840".
Must be too much Christmas cheer.

Mary Young
16-12-2005, 8:26 PM
Well I am still picking away at this ... sometimes it helps!
(1) If Christina was born 1830, why are you fixing her nephew, John Gunn's birth as early as 1840?
(2) Christina gave John's address in her will. If the will is dated around or after 1901, what about the 1901 census?

Marrel
17-12-2005, 6:39 AM
Hi Mary

I think that it is possible that Christina had an older sister, born about 1820. This is why I based the birth of John in 1840.
A possible choice is a Janet ,born to William McLEOD, Loth.No mother is given on the OPRs till a later date so proof is not assumed.Christina`s mother was Janet MURRAY.
Christina`s will was written in New Zealand in 1810.
I only received the copy a week ago, so I have not searched beyond the IGI at this time.