PDA

View Full Version : Genealogical genes......

clarefmshaw
12-12-2005, 8:09 PM
I'm sure that we all get something different out of our genealogical studies, but as a relative newcomer to this interest, I've been fascinated to have found, what I feel, are distinct 'continuations of themes' in the occupations and inclinations of our forebears.

I've recently discovered, for instance, that my husband's grandfather on one side, and great-great-grandfather on the other, were agricultural and steelworks foremen; and the g-g-grandfather was also a lay Primitive Methodist preacher. My husband, for most of his working life, has been a leading trade unionist and local borough councillor (he knows nothing about these forebears - I'm compiling his family history as a Christmas present and beg the forgiveness of this forum for my multiple queries over the past week or so....).

In terms of my own family history, there have been a distinct surfeit of rather clever grammar school girls, who have come from quite impoverished working-class backgrounds, of which I've been really chuffed to have found out about.

I know that this sort of reflection can be rather subjective, but I wondered whether others have found similar connections with the past.

Clare

Ladkyis
12-12-2005, 8:41 PM
Discovering theatrical ancestors and comparing them to my daughter and grand daughter who have been active on the amateur stage I know what you mean. To see some of the eccentricities that have come down through the genes is quite spooky too.

Ann

clarefmshaw
12-12-2005, 9:12 PM
Yes, Ann - it is spooky finding these traits, espcecially when you've known nothing about some of these people before. I'm sure that some of this can be due to subjectivity, and also a dose of wishful thinking!

But, for instance, I got a place at the local girls' grammar school (as did my older sister) from a primary school class of about 50 girls (there were 4 grammar school places for each year). I've found that my dad's cousin in the 1940s (of whom I knew nothing about until about 6 months ago) was a Birmingham grammar school girl who went on to Birmingham University to study maths (quite a feat in those years, again from a working-class background); and another second cousin in the 1940s who was a Manchester grammar school girl (I think the boys of the family were probably quite brainy, as well, but went into the forces). And none of these generations of grammar school girls knew the existence of the other!

mary elms
12-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Some of it is due to genes and some is due to a continuity of family tradition, thinking and attitudes.

The later generation don't necessarily know where these traditions etc. came from but they will have been handed on down the generations conciously and unconciously non the less. Even when we react against them our reaction can be just as predicatable.

There's a saying that you don't make the mistakes that your parents made - you make the mistakes that your grandparents made. It can be quite funny to watch!

Mary.

jeffrey.bean
21-12-2005, 12:26 AM
I've just found out that my 2nd 3rd and 4th Grand father where joiners and cabinet makers in the UK. Funny thing is, my occupation is a cabinet maker.