PDA

View Full Version : "Boer War - George LONG"

Garry Long
21-10-2004, 6:09 PM
Hi,
I know this is a complete long shot but I have to try this. I am trying to locate my grandfathers oldest brother George LONG. He was born in Kidderminster in approx. 1868. I have census records of him in 1871, 1881 & 1891 where he was living with his parents (& family) at 53 Stoney Lane, Lyndon, West Bromwich. I have checked every death record for him between 1891 & 1901 with no luck, yet I cannot find him on the 1901 Census. I was then advised that he could have been in the Boer War but whether he was for sure or not I honestly don't know! I appreciate this is a big ask but I am running out of ideas now & just hope SKS out there can help!
Garry

Geoffers
21-10-2004, 6:34 PM
I am trying to locate my grandfathers oldest brother George LONG. He was born in Kidderminster in approx. 1868.....I cannot find him on the 1901 Census. I was then advised that he could have been in the Boer War but whether he was for sure or not I honestly don't know!

If he was in the army, then you should find a record to assist in The National Archives (TNA) at Kew.

Campaign medals are held in class W0100
Service Records in WO97

If he died in the war, then try the index to Natal and South Africa Forces 1899-1902. This is held at the Family Records Centre (FRC) in London. It has been copied onto fiches and is available at many Local Studies' Centres/County Record Offices. If you find a record of a death, then you can apply for a copy of the certificate.

Another option is that if you know his dad's name, search the index of wills (again at the FRC and many Local Studies' centres) - if the father left a will it may mention not only George Long, but also an address.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Geoff Chew
04-01-2005, 6:21 PM
Hello Garry, only just noticed your query.

> I am trying to locate my grandfathers oldest brother George LONG. [...] I
> have checked every death record for him between 1891 & 1901 with no
> luck, yet I cannot find him on the 1901 Census. I was then advised that he
> could have been in the Boer War

You should try the South African national records site (NAAIRS) at http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/ -- I have just done a partial search on it, for the period between 1891 and 1905, and have come up with several George LONGs: mortgage bonds for a George LONG in the Cape archives (1898, 1899, 1900), a financial dispute between a George LONG and a Richard PROCTOR (1900), a George LONG of Albany and Griqualand West who was evidently tried for high treason (1902; "from Ceylon", 1903); also in the archives of the Transvaal (former South African Republic), a George Henry LONG (1901) and an Ernest George LONG (post-Boer War claim for compensation, 1902-4). There may be others yet. It's a great site for finding documents of a variety of type.

Best wishes
Geoff

Garry Long
13-01-2005, 7:51 AM
Hi Geoff,

Sorry I haven't responded but I must admit I haven't viewed this site for several weeks! Anyway, thanks for your comments but after a long search (pardon the pun) I have found him. It appears he was not a LONG after all, his surname was really his mum's maiden name & as he got married just before the 1901 census he obviously found this out & was therefore listed with his new family under his real name - PEARCE!
Thanks again for your help (and anyone else who tried for me),

Regards,
Garry

Garry Long
15-01-2005, 9:26 PM
Hi Geoff,

Thanks very much for your response and advice, however I have now located George! It appears he was not a LONG after all. He married prior to the 1901 Census & was obviously informed that he was born out of wedlock & his real name was his mum's maiden name "PEARCE". So he married, had a family & appears on the 1901 Census as George Henry PEARCE! Thanks again for your time & help though,

Regards,
Garry

deannafox
21-10-2008, 4:51 PM
Hi Geoff,
I have been trying to research my grandfather, Owen O'Lone but finding it difficult to locate parish and county records from Co. Tyrone NI. He had apparently served in the Boer war 1899-1901 as one of his children's birth certificate listed him as a 'soldier'. I have tried the NAAIRS link but it has failed and I can't find N alternative web address.

Thanks

You should try the South African national records site (NAAIRS) at http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/ -- I have just done a partial search on it, for the period between 1891 and 1905, and have come up with several George LONGs: mortgage bonds for a George LONG in the Cape archives (1898, 1899, 1900), a financial dispute between a George LONG and a Richard PROCTOR (1900), a George LONG of Albany and Griqualand West who was evidently tried for high treason (1902; "from Ceylon", 1903); also in the archives of the Transvaal (former South African Republic), a George Henry LONG (1901) and an Ernest George LONG (post-Boer War claim for compensation, 1902-4). There may be others yet. It's a great site for finding documents of a variety of type.

Best wishes
Geoff[/QUOTE]

martiny
21-10-2008, 7:24 PM
http://www.national.archives.gov.za/naairs.htm

I think this is the new url