PDA

View Full Version : Who was Margaret Callagham (Callaghan)?

Burrow Digger
06-12-2005, 4:34 PM
Hi. I have a Selley family in Exeter in the 1851 census - James Selley, his wife Elizabeth and a daughter also called Elizabeth all living in Catherine St, Exeter. James is aged 64 and a joiner. His wife is 62 and his daughter is 22. The reference is HO/107/1868 Folio: 308 Page: 4

Apart from the fact that Selley should be Sulley I have no problems with this family. Except for the 4th person listed with them on census night in 1851.

Her name is Margaret CALLAGHAM, age 2, born in Bath (Somerset) and listed under relationship as NRSC.

cont

Burrow Digger
06-12-2005, 4:34 PM
cont....

I have so many questions. What does NRSC mean? I'm thinking either Nurse's child or Neighbours Child? But there are no neighbours called Callaghan that I can find in the 1851 census - I'm using the LDS 3-counties census CD. She might be the younger Elizabeth's daugher - but then wouldn't she have been listed as grandchild? And if she's not related, then why is she listed with my Selleys?

Margaret is listed on freeBMD as born in BATH, Somerset, Sept quarter 1848. She's listed twice - as CALLAGHAM and CALLAGHAN. The joys of spelling errors. :)

I checked freeBMD for any other Callaghans born in Bath and found Geraldine Margaretta born in June quarter 1860.

Also on freeBMD I found a marriage of Frederick Marcus Callaghan in June quarter 1848 - anywhere from 3 to 6 months before Margaret was born.
cont...

Burrow Digger
06-12-2005, 4:35 PM
cont

Next I checked the Somerset 1851 census.

I found Frederick Callaghan age 28, landed proprietor, born in Ireland and living in Walcot St Swithins. He was married to Georgiana (which means that Georgiana Hodgson from the freeBMD was his wife) and they had 2 children. Henry aged 1 born in Sidmouth (Devon) and William aged 4 months born in Gloucester.

Back to freeBMD to find Henry's birth.

Births Jun 1849
Callaghan Henry Frederic Jordaine Honiton 10 130

Cannot find William's birth although I checked from 1850 to 1855.

Dont have access to 1861 or 1871 in Somerset. There do not appear to be any Callaghan's of the correct age, birthplace or name in Devon in the 1871 census.

cont...

Burrow Digger
06-12-2005, 4:39 PM
cont.... (last post)

In 1881 census I find Georgina Callaghan is a widow living in Walcot, Somerset with 2 children. Georgina is listed as age 55 and a Landowner And Householder. Her children William A Callaghan age 30, born Wiltshire, a retired Army Officer and Geraldine M Callaghan age 20, born Bath, Somerset, plus a few servants.

IS Margaret part of this family - possibly Frederick's illegitimate daughter. What happened to Margaret? And how is she related or connected to my Selley/Sulley's ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Burrow Digger

Emma Jane
06-12-2005, 5:08 PM
Hi Burrow Digger,
I had a quick look at the 1851 census entry and it clearly says nurse child in the relation to head column.
Hope this helps,
Emma

Burrow Digger
06-12-2005, 5:13 PM
Thanks Emma,

Now what is a Nurse child? :)

BD

Emma Jane
06-12-2005, 5:22 PM
I'm afraid I can't help with what a nurse child is but I've just looked at the image again and for Margaret there is something written under the occupation which to me looks like daur but I can't be sure so it may be worth someone checking it too.
Emma