PDA

View Full Version : William Frost 1813 - 1855

Sharron
03-12-2005, 11:18 AM
I am trying to find the parents of William Frost born in Mansfield. The IGI gives John Frost and Martha as parents of the christened William (14/08/1812). I can also find William on the 1851 census.

However, I have lots of Frosts from the area which I can't seem to match up, and can find no other reference to John and Martha.

Have I gone on a wild goose chase by looking at the Frosts of Cuckney?

Is anybody else researching this tree?

Confused of Wirral (!)

Wirral
03-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi Sharron
In the 1841 census: HO107/859/4 page 26 folio 17, 482 White Bear Cockpit, Mansfield, Notts
John Frost 75 stone sawyer
Mary Frost 73
Mary Frost jnr 24 dressmaker

All born in the county.

Mary Frost jnr is not on the IGI. You may be lucky & she will turn out to be a sister of Willam, but what this does show is that there are holes in the IGI coverage in Notts. There may be no connection at all between your William & the William born to John & Martha, other than coincidence in birthdates.

Are there any other family members with William at later censuses - siblings, nephews, etc, who make give a clue to the family? Or witnesses at the marriage?

Peter Goodey
03-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Sharron

Please search these forums for advice on how to use the IGI.

There are two Frost children allegedly christened at Mansfield with parents John & Martha. Both of these are patron submissions and although they may look plausible are worthless without checking the original parish register.

Although Hugh Wallis' site appears to show that the IGI covers Mansfield for this period, where are the extracted records of the Frost children?*

"Is anybody else researching this tree?"

Well, yes. There's obviously a Mormon somewhere claiming to have done it.

*The may be an extremely disturbing explanation for this but it's a new theory (not mine) that I'll cover elsewhere.

Wirral
03-12-2005, 1:29 PM
Hi Sharron
Have you got a marriage certificate for William? If he is the one who is married to Elizabeth & living in Sheffield in the 1851 census, then freeBMD lists a possible one:
William Frost, March Q 1841 Sheffield vol 22 page 357. On the same page is Elizabeth Fielding.

Sharron
04-12-2005, 7:18 AM
Thanks, Alison and Peter,

I think Alison may be correct and that I've jumped the gun in assuming that the John and Martha I found are the parents of this particular William. I think I'm safe with the 1851 census with William married to Elizabeth. Everything ties into that. I had found Elizabeth Fielding and am already looking for her in other sources to try and confirm that it is her. But I do wish he'd done the decent thing and had his brothers and sisters living with him in 1851 as well - wouldn't that be nice (and easy!!).

I am aware of the problems with the IGI. I had pointed a friend in the direction of the IGI and she said that the only things they got right were the names and the locations. Everything else was garbage. And she's American - you would think they could get their own house in order first, wouldn't you?