PDA

View Full Version : Computer Names

Diane Grant-Salmon
01-12-2005, 8:31 AM
The computer I have is my brother's old one and it has a name e.g. Fred. I suppose he named it when he first bought it, but he's away and I can't ask him.

I didn't think anything about this name, until I noticed that when I wrote to Rod at Archive CD Books a few months ago, his reply to my email had something like *message received from Fred@ and then some numbers* after it. My AVG information box, gives my licence number and underneath that, it says User: Fred. I don't know whether this name is important or not, in respect of recognition by Groups where I am a subscribed Member.

Next week sometime, I'm getting a new laptop which will not be networked. I am the only user and it will only be used at times when it's not convenient to use this one. Therefore, for 'recognition' purposes ....... should the laptop be named Fred too? If so, could someone tell me how to do it please? :confused:

Guy Etchells
01-12-2005, 9:54 AM
No each computer in a network requires its own name or id.
This is normally done when setting up windows.
If you want to change it pre Windows XP go to -
My Computer-Control Panel-Network -Identification

In Windows XP go to -
Right click My Computer, click properties, computer name

Cheers
Guy

Ed Bradford
01-12-2005, 3:23 PM
Guy, I tried the path for XP that you suggested on my computer and it brought me to changing the "My Computer" icon name. I'm running an old original XP load that has been updated to the latest service pack.

The path that I find that works is as follows:
From you main menu, left click START, then CONTROL PANEL and then SYSTEM. Left click the COMPUTER NAME tab and then the CHANGE button. You can then change the computer name and the workgroup name which is probably MSHOME. However, I'd leave the workgroup name alone (it's not broken so let's not fix it).

...............Ed

Peter Goodey
01-12-2005, 4:13 PM
"My AVG information box, gives my licence number and underneath that, it says User: Fred."

Now I use AVG and my information "About" window also states the user name. But this is without a shadow of doubt NOT the machine name. It is my Windows account name. This is quite a different animal!

To change this, go to the Control Panel, select User Accounts, select Fred and take it from there.

You say you're the sole user so you must inevitably have administrative rights which you need in order to do this.

If exceptionally you find that you aren't allowed to do it, you can't possibly be the sole user - the correct course of action is to panic and report back to us! :D :D :D

Ed Bradford
01-12-2005, 4:41 PM
Peter, I missed the point in Diane's original message that it was the user's name and not the computer's name that needed changing. Thanks for keeping us straight. .............Ed

Diane Grant-Salmon
01-12-2005, 4:41 PM
the correct course of action is to panic and report back to us! :D :D :D
Just come back and panicked!!!! :eek:
Quote from Ed:

workgroup name which is probably MSHOME. However, I'd leave the workgroup name alone (it's not broken so let's not fix it).

The Workgroup name is Museum ..... I deleted it, clicked OK, but it wouldn't let me!

Peter, I've just checked again with AVG etc. and it does say *Fred* as User! I'll be back as soon as I can, after taking screenshots ...... but my brother transcribes stuff for the Imperial War Museum, has done for years, so I'm assuming that's why it says 'Museum'?

Diane Grant-Salmon
01-12-2005, 4:57 PM
I hope everyone doesn't view at once, otherwise my site will crash! Three screenshots coming up in three messages. I just hope that someone can help me to sort out the problem I have.

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/ScreenShot001.jpg

Peter Goodey
01-12-2005, 4:57 PM
Ed - no need to apologise to me! I had also assumed it was the machine name. It was only when I double checked in the AVG About box that I smelled a rat.

Diane - forget about the workgroup name (at least for the moment). Try following the instructions I gave you about changing the ACCOUNT name.

Peter Goodey
01-12-2005, 5:00 PM
Just a minute Diane. Are you on Windows 98? My instructions were for XP.

Peter Goodey
01-12-2005, 5:09 PM
Diane

If you're on Windows 98 I'm afraid I really can't remember how to change it. It only has a toy user account system called Microsoft Family Logon which you can see in one of your screen captures. Try selecting that and see if it let's you change Fred to Diane or whatever you want.

Otherwise I'm going to have to leave this to someone with Windows 98 or with a better memory than me.

As Mythology says*, it's not critical from a technical point of view but if it's easy to change, why not change it??!!!

*or doesn't say, as the case may be :confused:

Diane Grant-Salmon
01-12-2005, 5:09 PM
Yes Peter .... Windows 98 Second Edituion

Peter Goodey
01-12-2005, 5:14 PM
"Scribe"?

Blimey. That's a new one! Are there any current Windows 98 experts around?

I'm retiring hurt!!!!:o

Diane Grant-Salmon
01-12-2005, 5:17 PM
Only two more chouces:

Client for Microsoft Networks
Windows Log on

Diane Grant-Salmon
01-12-2005, 5:20 PM
Thanks for trying Peter ....... Scribe is the name he used ..... in other words, not Fred!

I'll have to go soon anyway for dinner at 5.30 so will pop back later to see if anyone can help.

Thankyou to all

Mythology
01-12-2005, 6:10 PM
Firstly - sorry, Peter, my message was based on the assumption that Diane still thought she *needed* to change it, rather than her just *wanting* to change it for her own personal satisfaction and, in the light of what was posted while I was typing, seemed rather contradictory.

"I'm retiring hurt!!!!"

As far as this thread is concerned, so am I.

Diane, there's not a lot of difference between your 98SE and my ME - and I can see one thing straight away where I think you've gone wrong.
I have just altered pretty well everything on my own PC as an experiment, with no ill effects, and I'd reckon we can do the same with yours, but I would prefer to *talk* you through it in probably about fifteen minutes (allowing for your slow reboot) rather than spend all night typing, so I will ring you about 7 o'clock.

Edit:
Of course, if you wish to tape record the conversation, edit out the swear words, type out what little remains after the editing, and paste it on here, feel free to do so. ;)

Guy Etchells
01-12-2005, 6:20 PM
Guy, I tried the path for XP that you suggested on my computer and it brought me to changing the "My Computer" icon name. I'm running an old original XP load that has been updated to the latest service pack.

The path that I find that works is as follows:
From you main menu, left click START, then CONTROL PANEL and then SYSTEM. Left click the COMPUTER NAME tab and then the CHANGE button. You can then change the computer name and the workgroup name which is probably MSHOME. However, I'd leave the workgroup name alone (it's not broken so let's not fix it).

...............Ed

Yes there are three or four different methods that may be used according to the version of XP
As to workgroup name that depends on the workgroup you wish to access. I use two different workgroups depending on whether I wish to connect to the boys games computers or to the various "serious" computers in the house.

Cheers
Guy

Guy Etchells
01-12-2005, 6:38 PM
I hope everyone doesn't view at once, otherwise my site will crash! Three screenshots coming up in three messages. I just hope that someone can help me to sort out the problem I have.

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/ScreenShot001.jpg

The screenshots are from Windows prior to XP (95, 98).
I presume they are from the laptop as the name is Scribe rather than Fred.
Change the name scribe to whatever you wish and the computer will be renamed.
If you wish to network it the workgroup names on both computers will require to be set the same.

I don't understand any need to change the computer name unless you just don't like it.

If the computers do not see each other on the network and the workgroup names are the same check they are both using the same protocols.
On your first screen shot the protocol is shown next to NDISWAN and TCP/IP

So using the screen shots given both comuters need to be set to
Primary Network Logon - Microsoft Family Logon
Workgroup - Museum
Protocol TCP/IP

If you wish to connect to the internet through the network using the dial up adapter in the desktop computer the desktop will have to be logged on to windows.
Cheers
Guy

Diane Grant-Salmon
01-12-2005, 7:10 PM
hello guy,

sorry this is lower case, but on the phone to myyth .... he has sorted me out and things are now fine. thanks again for your help. all sorted now. :D

Peter Goodey
01-12-2005, 7:16 PM
I've now limped off the pitch and am watching from the bench.

I'm glad to hear it's sorted. Was it the Microsoft Family Login thing that I suggested a dozen messages ago? Or something else?