PDA

View Full Version : Born in Canada a British subject

swiggin74
30-11-2005, 9:22 PM
Hello,

I am an English researcher who is researching an ancestor born in Canada, a British subject. He was born in approx 1887 in Toronto, Canada. Could anyone tell me how I would go about obtaing a birth certificate for him? He left Canada, with his parents not long after his birth, and returned to the UK. I would also be interested to know if anyone can help me to find details of his entry and exit of Canada, ie. passenger lists etc.

Many Thanks
Sam.

KarenP
04-12-2005, 2:58 AM
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-504-e.html

Sam You might try the above link. If it does not work go to

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/

click the English button
go to the far right of the screen and click on the words "Canadian Genealogy Centre"

then click on "Databases" near the top of the document....and then scroll down until you see a heading that says Immigration...there is a link there to click on for those who came to Canada in the 1800's...The parent's of the person you are researching may be mentioned in that list.

Geoffers
04-12-2005, 9:04 AM
I would also be interested to know if anyone can help me to find details of his entry and exit of Canada, ie. passenger lists etc
There are inbound passenger lists available at The National Archives, for passengers arriving since 1878. These are held in BT26. The problem is that they are arranged by port and there is no central index.

Geoffers

Linda
04-12-2005, 3:44 PM
Sam

If you would like to post more details (name, name of parents, father's occupation) I will have a look in the birth index next time I go to the Family History Centre, but I cannot go before they close for the Christmas holidays. They are closed for a month, so it could be end of January before I will be going there again.

If he is found in the index then I will be able to look at his birth record as well - no need to buy a certificate.

Best Wishes
Linda

swiggin74
08-12-2005, 5:12 PM
Hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply. The info that I have is as follows,

William Charles Lavender bn 1887 Toronto, Canada.

Parents: Joseph Elijah Lavender and Hannah Mary Lavender (nee Baugh)

The father's occupation I am unsure of. There are family stories that he was a merchant sailor, bur I can find no proof of this.

Many Thanks for your help,

Sam.

Linda
04-03-2006, 9:24 PM
Hi Sam....are you still with us? |wave|

Sorry about the delay, I know I said January but, well, I just went to the LDS today for the first time since before Christmas. You'd think that once your children are grown up and left home, there would be lots of time for...whatever. It seems that's only the case for a little while, until the grandchildren come along! :D

Sorry I'm rambling, but...alas...your William does not appear in the Ontario birth index.:( I searched 1885-1891 and found some babes with the same surname, but, on checking the birth details, none of them had parents named Joseph and Hannah.

Sorry.

Linda

Wirral
04-03-2006, 9:37 PM
As William's parents & siblings were all born in England, have you tried the Overseas Births Index? If his father was a mariner, his mother may have sailed with him, resulting in Williams being born outside the country. William's birth may have been registered in England, rather than in Canada, as he was a British Subject.

swiggin74
05-03-2006, 9:59 AM
Hi Linda,

Thanks for looking at the records for me. I will try the overseas records. I think I may have already looked but it won't hurt to have another try.

Thanks again
Sam.

lesley85
15-09-2007, 5:45 PM
priscilla walker was born inthe uk possibly heanor derbyshire in 1891.she married fredrick johnston he was canadian ,she arrived in usa from queenstown her father was arther walker.shehad a daughter evelyn said to have been a swimsuit model in the u.s.also said to havsa to have been clint eastwoods first wife.
any help welcome. lesley85 (sorry wrong daughters name should read maggie)