PDA

View Full Version : Curly or Darky Butler

Judith Beilby
21-10-2004, 12:18 PM
I have family papers which show one of my ancestors fought in Cromwell's army around 1652. He is just shown as Curly or Darky Butler - because of his swarthy complexion. The papers also show our branch of the Butler family to have the motto 'comme je trouve' and believed to be linked to the Ormond Butlers. I am trying to find out if there are any records of soldiers that fought with Cromwell and would be grateful for any advice on where to start looking please.

Geoffers
21-10-2004, 4:33 PM
I have family papers which show one of my ancestors fought in Cromwell's army around 1652. He is just shown as Curly or Darky Butler - because of his swarthy complexion. The papers also show our branch of the Butler family to have the motto 'comme je trouve' and believed to be linked to the Ormond Butlers. I am trying to find out if there are any records of soldiers that fought with Cromwell and would be grateful for any advice on where to start looking please.
What you find depends a lot on luck. If he was an officer then you should start by checking E.Peacock's book "The Army List of Roundheads and Cavaliers".

You might also try: C.Dalton - "English Army Lists and Commission Registers 1661-1714" and by the same author "Irish Army Lists, 1661-1685".

17th century warrants for commissions are held in The National Archives (TNA) at Kew in State Paper Entry Books - SP44

Other places to look at Kew might be Commonwealth Exchequer Papers in SP28, or a variety of other series' including as Audit Office Accounts AO1-AO3
But references can be hard to find.

Soldiers in Parliaments armies who were owed back pay from 1649 may have been given certificates called debentures. These debentures confirmed what money was owed and this was secured against land seized by Parliament. So, a soldier could sue this debenture to in effect purchase the land/property. The soldiers in turn sold then sold the land to get cash. Records relating to the sale of such land are held in TNA in document class E121. They are arranged by county in which the confiscated land was situated and the records are not indexed.

Debentures relating to land confiscated in ireland have not survived.

There was a Committee for Indemnity set up to indemnify 'Roundhead' soldiers from acts committed in the wars. Again records in TNA, these are in class SP24.

Judith Beilby
26-10-2004, 7:22 AM
Thanks very much for the detailed reply, this will keep me busy during the winter months. Your assistance is much appreciated.

Judith