Nottingham perhaps cannot show so long and so glorious a history as London or York, but it has a past of which any town should be very proud. So far as dated history goes, it cannot point to anything earlier than 868 A. D., but before that, long even before the Romans came to Britain, there was a settlement on the spot where Nottingham has subsequently grown up.
The name “Nottingham” will be used for this settlement, though it did not originate until Anglo-Saxon times. No earlier name has survived on reliable authority, though some early writers mention Tigguocobauc as the British name for this settlement.
A large body of legends have collected to make up for the fact that no real history has come down to later times. While these legends are picturesque, they are so obviously fiction that in the light of present day knowledge, no reliance can possibly be placed on them. They amused, and perhaps edified the generations that have passed away, and so they served their purpose, and may now be given a decent, if somewhat tardy burial.
Which Churches are in Nottingham?
Nottingham has three main ancient churches. Highlighted on this 1610 map of Nottingham are (left to right) St. Nicholas, St. Peter, St. Mary.
Nottingham has three ancient churches, plus many other “new” parish churches built in the 1800s, and many non-conformist churches.
St. Nicholas’ Church of Nottingham
With the original building being destroyed and used for other purposes during the English Civil War, there was a rebuild of the church in 1678 and that building still stands today. No burials have taken place in its churchyard since 1881, so if you are looking for any burials later than that, it wouldn’t be worth your time looking in the graveyard.
St. Mary’s Church
The main body of the church is believed to have been standing from the end of the reign of the Edward III which was 1377. St Mary’s is famous for pioneering the Sunday school services for those who couldn’t afford to go to day school. The first Sunday school was opened in 1751, 35 years before the generally acknowledged first Sunday school was founded in Gloucester
St. Peter’s Church
St. Peter’s shows many traces of construction from what appears to be 1180, as the original building was destroyed in 1100. The tower and the spire was completed in 1340. The church is Grade I listed by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport as an outstanding architectural or historic interest. St. Peter’s is also used regularly as a concert venue; particularly through the thrice-yearly series of Saturday mornings ‘coffee-break’ concerts.