PDA

View Full Version : Peter Fraser - where are you !

Francois_Fraser
14-10-2018, 11:57 PM
From the other ocean, we are looking for Peter Fraser who came to Canada, we don't know when if he came with his father Alexander Fraser (1729-1799) and mother Mary Hay (1738-1789) (but again we are not sure). We can have everything in Canada, but we are not able to do the link with Scotland and Canada.

What we have is
12 Sep 1755 • Inverness, Inverness-shire, Scotland
14 MAR 1801 - Married Josephte CHASSE at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
Children: Malcolm, Sophie Catherine, Pierre, Geneviève, Simon, Alexander, Jean-Etienne.

Any help will be appreciate !

christanel
15-10-2018, 7:18 PM
Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums :smile5:
Just an aside for those wanting to help.
When Peter and Josette married in 1801 Peter is said to be about 40 years of age so that would give a birth year of c 1861 and Josette age about 25 years so born c 1876. (to be taken with a pinch of salt)
They already had 5 children when they married and had declared this to the minister in the original image of the marriage.
Christina

christanel
15-10-2018, 7:30 PM
names and ages of the children mentioned on the marriage record
Sophia age 7years born c 1794
Peter Fraser age 6 born c 1795
Jane age 4 born c 1797
Malcom age 3 born c 1798
Simon age 1 born c 1800

What is the source for Peter's parents being Alexander Fraser and Mary Hay ?

Christina

Francois_Fraser
15-10-2018, 7:49 PM
Hello Christina,

Thank you for your reply. If you are looking at anyone doing genealogy in Canada, you will find that most of us cant go frther than Peter Fraser in Canada. We know where he got married, when and his children, but we can't trace his past. A lot of people supposed is father was Alexander Fraser and Mary Nay, but they are no source.

I am looking right now at the 78th Highlanders on Foot - thinking that maybe Alexander Fraser came to Canada with them and then decided to remain to Canada afterwards. I know there was one who came in 1757, fought in Quebec City under Wolfe and then stay in Quebec City.

But it is really vague again and read many books on the subject but nothing!

Thanks !

Francois

christanel
15-10-2018, 8:36 PM
Hi Francois
If you have no evidence at all for Peter's father being Alexander Fraser it seems to me you could be going down the wrong path looking in the 78th Highlanders of Foot.
I have taken a look on ScotlandsPeople for the baptism record of a Peter Fraser born Inverness 1750-1765 and there are 5 results but none with a father Alexander or mother Mary Hay/Nay? Expanding the search to the whole of Scotland there are still no results with a father and mother of those names.
Christina

Francois_Fraser
15-10-2018, 8:56 PM
Thank you Christina,

I did that also...well, I am going to try to get more in Quebec about him, may be it will bring me to his father and Nova Scotia...who knows !!

Thanks anyway.

Francois