PDA

View Full Version : Scandal in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire

Wirral
05-09-2005, 8:41 PM
I bet this marriage caused a stir! 1876 at Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, John Russell, postmaster & sexton of St Peter's, Wisbech, age 72, married Susannah Buffham age 34. Not only that, but she was the cook in the house of his boss, the vicar of St Peter's. And they had a child a year later. He had at least one previous marriage, and I think 6+ older children, the oldest being born 15 years before the birth of Susannah.

Copper
05-09-2005, 8:46 PM
You can just imagine the tongues wagging can't you? Thanks for that snippet.

Mythology
05-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Oh well - at least he did marry her, that's better than some.

I think I've probably mentioned this one before, but, for the benefit of those who missed it .....

1881 census in Islington
Jonathan Lettice, 73 b Marylebone, with grandson Frederick Lettice, 13 b Islington, and housekeeper Alice Hussy, 19 b Islington.
"Jonathan" is actually Joseph Jonathan, born 8 April 1807. As the 1881 census was 3 April, he was still a few days short of his 74th birthday, so the age is correct.
Frederick is Frederick John Lettice, born 30 December 1867, so his age is correct too.
Last time I spoke to the person whose family this is, Alice had not been positively identified, so the age may or may not be absolutely spot-on.

They've then moved - Jonathan died in Chelsea just before the 1891 census, and it is in Chelsea that we then find:
Frederick Lettice, allegedly 24 (so he's added a year on) b Islington, with his "wife" Alice, allegedly 28 b Islington. They have two sons - James 3 and William 2.
Alice, is, of course, Alice Hussy - Fred probably knocked a year off her age to lessen the apparent difference - and there's also a third son who was an infant death, John Frederick Lettice in 1890.

There is, of course, no marriage to be found, but that's nothing unusual. Fred has, to all intents and purposes, "married" his grandfather's housekeeper - nice and simple, no problem, eh?

Except that there are also a pair of twins who didn't make it to the 1891 census, Ellen and Frederick, born 6 October 1886 and both died the same year.

On the birth certs for the twins, Alice is allegedly "Lettice formerly Hussy", of course, but the father is not 18 year-old Frederick, it's 79 year-old Jonathan. :D

Needless to say, there is no marriage to be found between Jonathan and Alice either, so this young lady who obviously associated the word "Lettice" with the word "rabbit" has had children by both grandfather and grandson, claims on different records that she's married to each of them, and wasn't actually married to either.

I have pointed out to my friend that "Hussy" may have been the Lettice family's pet name for her rather than her actual surname. ;)

GeoffD
06-09-2005, 11:39 AM
so this young lady who obviously associated the word "Lettice" with the word "rabbit"

Classic! Pure gold!

Justme
04-12-2005, 6:23 PM
And how about this sad little tale:-
In 1861 Augustus Strover, 31 b Basford, was the unmarried curate of West Bridgford and perpetual curate of Edwalton. He lived at the Rectory with only his housekeeper, Hannah Bostock, 28 b Farnsfield.
1871: Augustus, still unmarried,was now the vicar of Edwalton, living at the vicarage still only with his housekeeper, Hannah Bostock.
1881: Augustus, 52, and Hannah, 47, were now married and had acquired 2 children, Annie Strover, 14, b Edwalton, and Edgar Strover, 7, b Nottingham. It seems they had gone across the border to Derby to marry in 1873. I believe Annie's birth may have been registered under her mother's maiden name. The family were now living at 13 Rancliffe Terrace, Pym Street, Nottingham. Augustus was a "Clergyman (without care of Souls[?])" and Hannah was a "Maker up of Hosiery".
Hannah died in 1885, and Augustus in 1888. Edgar then disappeared from the census, but Annie bravely reappeared in Edwalton in 1901 as a machinist of hosiery, single, boarding with another single lady.
Oh the sins of the fathers.........!

Nottsdocs
26-07-2006, 2:01 PM
I work for Nottingham City Museum and Galleries. We have a certain number of herbarium specimens collected by Reverend Augustus Strover between 1854 and 1870, mainly from Edwalton and Bobbersmill in Notts.

(make you wonder why he was spending so much time in the fields ;) ).

I wondered if you had any further information on him?

Justme
27-07-2006, 12:42 PM
(make you wonder why he was spending so much time in the fields ;) ).

Gathering rosebuds while he may?

No, that's all I have for Augustus Strover. He was one of the interesting diversions I followed when my own family history stalled for a while. Will certainly try to see his 'herbaria' later this year, though!

Ess