PDA

View Full Version : 1841 & 1851 census look up. Holborn.

Di&Trev
02-09-2005, 3:04 PM
Hi everyone.
Can anyone help me with the following please.
I am hunting the family of Frederick Adlard.
I have the following information
Post Office Directory 1841
Frederick Adlard. 224, Little Queen St, High Holborn, London. Tailor
Frederick Adlard. 225, Little Queen St, High Holborn, London. Hatter.
Just around the corner from Museum Street & Queens Court.

1861 census
Frederick Adlard aged 51 Tailor employing 12 men.Born West Smithfield.
Wife. Rebecca. 52.
Son Frederick J. aged 27 Clerk.
Son Sidney. 19. Warehouseman.
225 High Holborn
Source information: RG9/170
Registration district: St Giles
Sub-registration district: St Giles South
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Folio: 36
Page: 30

He obviously hadn't moved house in the intervening years so I wonder if some kind lister could possibly look up the 41 & 51 census records for him. I'm hoping that he had a brother Edward living with him at some point, but all information very gratefully received.
Much appreciated :)
Diane

mary elms
03-09-2005, 8:45 AM
Just to cofirm that they didn't move - the 1851 London PO Directory has

Adlard, Fredk. Tailor & Hatter, 224 & 225 High Holborn

Mary

Di&Trev
03-09-2005, 3:15 PM
Thanks Mary
That information is much appreciated. :)

Mythology
03-09-2005, 9:55 PM
No Edward in 1851, but there's an extra son, Walter.
1841 I don't have.

The 1851 entry is HO107/1508, f.467, p.17 - 224 High Holborn
Frederick Adlard | Head | Mar | 41 | Merchant Tailor, 10 men | London
Rebecca do. | Wife | Mar | 42 | Merchant Tailors Wife | London
Walter do. | Son | - | 15 | Apprentice | London
Thirza [surname unclear] | Serv | Unmar | 23 | Domestic Serv | Dorsetshire

Thirza's surname has been partly overwritten - looks something like Slane, but whether he's tried to change the initial letter from "S" to "C" or vice-versa (or even something else) I wouldn't like to guess, and I wouldn't put money on my "a" actually being that either.

mary elms
03-09-2005, 10:13 PM
I have the 1841 census and spent some time today looking through it. The problem is that High Holborn is scattered across 3 pieces. Sometimes the houses are numbered - sometimes not. The other road names you gave give an idea which piece your family is on but it's still a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack .......... which has pushed me into getting round to getting the street index - a long overdue purchase! If no one has found your family by the time it arrives (hopefully sometime next week) I'll have another go then.

Mary.

Di&Trev
04-09-2005, 7:28 PM
Hi Mythology
Thanks very much for the info on the 1851. Very much appreciated :)
Lets hope it leads on to something. I'm very grateful to you.

Hi Mary
Thanks for looking on the 1841, I'm sorry its such a job :( , I thought with the address it wouldn't be too bad. My apologies and thanks again.

mary elms
04-09-2005, 8:06 PM
Thanks for looking on the 1841, I'm sorry its such a job :( , I thought with the address it wouldn't be too bad. :) And you were right. Once the index arrives it shouldn't be too bad at all. :)

I didn't need the index when I bought the census CDs because my family moved about so much that even an address 1 or 2 years away proves to be no good for the census. I knew I was in for a page-by-page trawl (which I've thoroughly enjoyed - even found some of my familes) so I bought something else instead. However, I've regretted the decision a number of times since then! |banghead|

Mary.

Di&Trev
05-09-2005, 7:43 PM
Now that bit I know about.|banghead|

I spend a fair bit of time trawling though Devon censuses, but at least its fairly simple to read what town you're in and work from there. I dread to think what London ones are like. Most of my family came into London after the 1851 which makes life a bit easier, the odd one or two who were in London prior to that are truly dreadful to find. Plus I think several of mine were hiding in the coal bunkers the day the census was taken :)
Thanks again

mary elms
06-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Hello Diane,

The index arrived at 11am and by 11.15am (real time not BG time) I had found your family. :) Now why didn't I get that index before? |banghead|

HO107 piece 673 Enumeration District 5 Folio 5 Page 5
Borough - Finsbury
Parish - St Giles in the Fields

Fredk Adlard 30 Tailor
Rebecca Adlard 30

I think that the next two names are part of your family. This enumerator marks the households with clear firm lines but there is a line here that is the same shape, length etc as his marks but much fainter so it's just possible they're a seperate household. However, there are plenty of households on this street with servants and it makes more sense that way.

Ann Cofer? 20 FS
Wm Osborne 15 Gror (the last r is superscript as is the m of Wm)

All 4 are marked Y as having been born in the county.

They are living in the same building as two other households - a fishmonger and a leather cobler. The address at the beginning of the building is Little Queen Street but next to this family is written 'High Holborn'. It looks as though the enumerator has sliipped up and put 'High Holborn' in the column one household too soon. The next building's address is definately High Holborn. The next three households are also tailors - names Scantlebury, Brian & Wheeler.

Sorry - no Edward.

Mary.

PS - Having spent a few minutes scanning over the rest of the ED (anything to avoid the dreaded housework :D ) it's quite noticeable that there are a lot of tailors in the area!

Di&Trev
08-09-2005, 9:24 PM
Hi Mary
Thank you so much for that.
I am very grateful.
I wonder if Gror is Grocer?
Again many thanks, much appreciated. |bowdown|
Warm regards

mary elms
08-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Diane,

Your comment about 'Gror' made me look at my notes again - apologies for my typo - it should say 'Gror Boy'. And yes, I wondered if it was Grocer's Boy too.

Mary.

mary elms
09-09-2005, 6:33 PM
'Err' followed by a superscripted 'd', which I believe was usually 'Errand Boy'.You're right - his Gs and his Es are very similar aren't they - Errd boy makes much more sense.

I decided on Gror when I compared it to his writing of Grocer on another page but your reading makes far more sense.

Mary.

Di&Trev
16-09-2005, 1:17 AM
Thank you to Mary & Kester
I'm grateful to both of you, I did think it was strange to have a grocer living with a Tailor. I'd sort of decided they were relatives. :)
Many thanks again for sorting it out for me.
Warm regards