PDA

View Full Version : From Witney to Portugal

Coromandel
02-08-2012, 5:53 PM
I am trying to find out more about Marriott William Clinch and his descendants (I have a lot about his Clinch relatives who stayed in Witney, but he is one of the ones who got away.:).

Marriott William Clinch was the eldest son of John Marriott Clinch and Martha (Burgess). His birth was registered in the third quarter of 1859 in the Witney district. He was probably born at Rock House, Mill Lane [now Mill Street], in what is considered the town of Witney but would then have been just over the parish boundary in Curbridge. His father would then have been a miller, but later took up farming in the nearby parish of Cogges.

Marriott was a civil engineer when he married Mary Harriet 'Leah' [Leahy according to children's baptisms] Parkinson at Fleetwood St Peter, Lancs, on 16 August 1886. Both he and Mary gave their address as 48 Sagar Terrace. (From transcript on Lancs OPCs.)

Soon afterwards they probably headed off for Portugal. Occasionally they pop up in England (e.g. getting children christened). A family tree lists only three children, Percy, William Marriott and Esperanza, but I think I now have at least five and possibly six:

almost certainly John Marriott Clinch, shown on FMP Overseas Births as being born 1886-1890 Portugal. From an announcement in Jackson's Oxford Journal I know that he was the grandson of John Marriott Clinch and that he was 2 years old when he died in 1889, therefore born about 1887.
(Henry) Percy Clinch, also born 1886-1890 Portugal (FMP); born about 1889 according to CWGC; killed in action at Gallipoli.
Alice Mary Clinch, bapt. 1890 Lancaster St Mary (there is a corresponding birth registration in the Lancaster district); presumed to have died young.
William Marriott Clinch, b.1893 according to baptism record (see below)
Esperanza Clinch, b.1894 according to baptism record; she and her brother William M. were baptised 3 July 1895 at Lancaster St Mary; father's occupation civil engineer, abode 37 Portland Street.
perhaps also Harold Eric Clinch, born 1896-1900 in Portugal according to FMP

It was Marriott's work that had taken them to Portugal. When his daughter Alice was baptised in Lancaster in 1890, the abode was given as Mina S. Domingos, Portugal. The mining rights at this copper mine belonged at that time to the British firm Mason & Barry . . . and it may well be significant that the Mason part of the partnership was none other than James Mason who lived just a couple of miles up the road from Witney, at Eynsham Hall (which isn't in Eynsham at all, but in North Leigh).

Marriott W. Clinch's first wife Mary had presumably died by 1900 when he married Dora Maud McDonough in the Kingston district. Poor Dora didn't last long. There is a memorial to her in the tiny English cemetery, Mina São Domingos. From a photo on Flickr I can make out part of the inscription, which says she 'died at sea June 25 1901 and was buried in the Bay of Biscay aged 24(?) years'. The memorial also mentions their daughter (Pollie?) 'who died in her infancy'.

In 1906 Marriott W. Clinch is back in England again and marrying again, this time in the Hendon district. Out of the two possible spouses, Mina Black and Vivien Dorothy C. Stagg, I think Mina is more likely but haven't yet confirmed this.

There's a death registration for a 65 year old Marriott W. Clinch in the Willesden district in the second quarter of 1925.

When/where did Marriott's first wife die?

Can anyone find anything more on Alice Mary Clinch (b.1890) and her (presumed) siblings John Marriott Clinch and Harold Eric Clinch? Also the short-lived 'Pollie' (if I have read the inscription correctly).

Any advice on locating Portuguese records would be gratefully received.

I think Marriott's son William Marriott Clinch (b.1893) also spent a lot of time in Portugal: he appears on several shipping lists returning to the UK. A family tree gives his wife's surname as Brown but I have no other information about her. I have names of two daughters but as they could still be alive I won't post them here. His sister Esperanza married in Portugal in 1916, I think (to a Leonard Harvey) but was back in England by the time of her death in 1969 (in the Reading district).

Phew! That was a long post, sorry. Well done if you made it to the end!

Ken_R
02-08-2012, 6:54 PM
Alice Mary Clinch, bapt. 1890 Lancaster St Mary (there is a corresponding birth registration in the Lancaster district); presumed to have died young.

There is a newspaper Death notice.

"Nov 25, at Mina San Domingos, Alice, the infant daughter of Marriot William and Mary Clinch."

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, January 3, 1891; Issue 7189.

Ken_R
02-08-2012, 7:00 PM
And another.

"Dec 8, at Mino Las Domingos, Mertola, Portugal, John Marriott Clinch, grandson of John Marriott Clinch, of Bampton, aged two years."

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, December 21, 1889; Issue 7134.

Ken_R
02-08-2012, 7:03 PM
Ditto.

"March 23, in London, at the residence of his daughter, John Marriott Clinch, of Bampton, late of Witney, aged 65 years."

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, April 2, 1892; Issue 7254.

Ken_R
02-08-2012, 7:14 PM
Same newspaper, same date. An Obit. to John Marriott. Too much to copy out but ends.............."The Funeral took place on Tuesday, and was attended by members of the Masonic Lodge, of which the deceased was a P. G. M."

[? Grand Master]

Coromandel
02-08-2012, 7:20 PM

"Nov 25, at Mina San Domingos, Alice, the infant daughter of Marriot William and Mary Clinch."

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, January 3, 1891; Issue 7189.

Thank you, Ken_R: I must have missed that one. Alice was baptised in Lancaster at the beginning of November, and must have spent quite a bit of her short life travelling, if she died in Portugal the same month.

"March 23, in London, at the residence of his daughter, John Marriott Clinch, of Bampton, late of Witney, aged 65 years."

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, April 2, 1892; Issue 7254.

Thank you again! The National Probate Calendar says he died at 136 Clarendon Road, Notting Hill. I will have to check which of his daughters lived there. Two (Kate and Martha Emily), didn't marry, and stayed in Oxfordshire as far as I know. Grace Ann married John Thomas GOOSEY, while Ann Waine Clinch married a William Charles GROVES. The Gooseys were in Northamptonshire so perhaps it was the Groveses who lived in Notting Hill.

Ken_R
02-08-2012, 7:27 PM
Still ploughing on. Lots of 'hits' for "William Clinch", 1886-1900 in a Blackburn newspaper. Too many to look through but one has caught my attention,

"August 20, at Mossley Hill Church, by the Rev R. B. de Wolf, William Clinch Turnock to Edith Mary Hughes, formerly of this city."

Cheshire Observer (Chester, England), Saturday, August 25, 1900; pg. 5; Issue 2507.

Any connection?

Coromandel
02-08-2012, 7:41 PM
"August 20, at Mossley Hill Church, by the Rev R. B. de Wolf, William Clinch Turnock to Edith Mary Hughes, formerly of this city."

Cheshire Observer (Chester, England), Saturday, August 25, 1900; pg. 5; Issue 2507.

Any connection?

I have had a quick look but at the moment can't see any connection. There's a birth registration for a William Clinch Turnock in the Bramley district (which FreeBMD tells me was in the West Riding of Yorkshire) in 1874. I'm not aware of any Witney Clinches having been in that area. A lot of Witney folk did go to Yorkshire because of the woollen textile industry, but the Clinches weren't blanket makers as far as I know.

P.S. thank you for looking, though! They get about quite a bit: one of them went to the Isle of Man and set up a brewery there.

Ken_R
02-08-2012, 8:02 PM
Funny you should mention Brewer because I found an entry mentioning, what's the name of the place.......has a chip shop on a hill, Chipping Norton, that mentioned a Clinch + 1 partnership in Banking and Brewing.

Typically, I can't now find it. From memory, 1886? It seemed to be just a declaration that 'returns' had been submitted.

That's me for the night.:sleep1:

Mutley
02-08-2012, 8:29 PM
The 1881 census has him at Coggs, Oxfordshire with his sister Katie age 19 and a servant.
He gives his occupation as Farm Steward and born 1860, Curbridge.
RG11; Piece: 1515; Folio: 9; Page: 12

Mutley
02-08-2012, 8:35 PM
Marriott William Clinch b.1859 and Mina Clinch b. 1869 travelling from Lisbon arrived in Liverpool on 24 June 1920.
From Portugal to 19 Wellington Square, Oxford.
Ports of Voyage: La Plata, [Montevideo], [Santos], [Rio de Janeiro]
Ship: Deseado

Mutley
02-08-2012, 8:45 PM
Marriott arrived alone on 2 Sep 1905 at Southampton from Lisbon on the Aragon.

Sorry these hits will not be in date order.

Portuguese records are extremely hard. Unfortunately, it is much further north than I am but should you need any help with translations you are welcome to PM me. :smile5:

Mutley
02-08-2012, 8:54 PM
Thank you again! The National Probate Calendar says he died at 136 Clarendon Road, Notting Hill. I will have to check which of his daughters lived there. Two (Kate and Martha Emily), didn't marry, and stayed in Oxfordshire as far as I know. Grace Ann married John Thomas GOOSEY, while Ann Waine Clinch married a William Charles GROVES. The Gooseys were in Northamptonshire so perhaps it was the Groveses who lived in Notting Hill.
The entry on the England & Wales, National Probate Calendar that I can see says Clinch, Marriott William of 41 Mapesbury Road, Cricklewood, Middx died 25th April 1925 at Willesden Hospital, Harlesden Road, Middx. Probate London 18th June to Mina Clinch, Widow. Effects £4,822 1s 3d.

Mutley
02-08-2012, 9:06 PM
Son William Clinch b. abt 1893 left Lisbon and arrived on 1 Dec 1936 at Southampton on the Almanzora. Address Short Street, Pangbourne, Berks. He was an Engineer. With him was a 19 year old spinster going to the same address. (In case she is a living daughter her intials were J.E.)

Mutley
02-08-2012, 9:28 PM
Hoping to find William with a wife but not yet.
Alone and travelling on the Andalucia from Santos to Plymouth going to 'Casadella' Beeches Walk, Carshalton on 26 April 1927. His last residence was Brazil, his intended residence is England.

Ah! William with Evelyn Georgina born about 1897. They travelled from Lisbon to Southampton arriving on 22 May 1950 on the Alcantara. Address Beaufort Road. Residence was Portugal intending to stay in England!!

William, alone again, from Lisbon to Southampton on the Andes arriving 1 June 1954 to 43 Beaufort Rd, Edgbaston. An Engineer, permanent residence was Portugal. Intended future residence was a Foreign Country.

Mutley
02-08-2012, 9:40 PM
There is, indeed a marriage for Georgina E Brown to William M Clinch at Bradfield, Berks, March qrt of 1916 and a possible death for her in Penzance in 1992. There is a burial for a William M. in 1974 in Paul, Cornwall.

Mutley
02-08-2012, 9:50 PM
In 1933 William and Georgina are in Grove Gardens Spelthorne, Surrey on the Electoral Registers.

4 June 1948 From Lisbon to Southampton, on his own on the Andes and going to Beaufort Road.

Goodness me, he didn't stay anywhere for long, did he? :smile5:

Mutley
02-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Back to Marriott....
Mr. Marriott Clinch, a Manager, born about 1859 travelled from Lisbon to Southampton on the Atrato.
Landed on 18 Aug 1898, no address given.

9 Aug 903 Lisbon to Southampton on the Santos, on his own, no other info.

Mutley
02-08-2012, 10:33 PM
I imagine this was his final trip. The address, mais ou menos, lines up with the Probate address.
31 Aug 1923 Marriott, a Manager with Mina from Lisbon to Southampton going to 41 Malmesbury Road, Cricklewood. Country of last permanent residence was England and intending to stay in England.

Note: permanent residence is understood to be one year or more.

Quick recap so far for Marriott, I think..
1881 census at Coggs with his sister.
1886 married Mary in England
1898 from Lisbon on the Arato, alone.
1900 married Dora in England
1903 from Lisbon on the Thames
1905 from Lisbon on the Aragon, alone.
1906 married Mina in England
1913 from Lisbon on the Alcala, alone.
1920 from Lisbon on the Deseado with Mina.
1923 from Lisbon on the Arlanza with Mina.
1925 died at Cricklewood effects to Mina.

The missing links being 1886 to 1898. Maybe the Outgoing Trips might help.

Mutley
02-08-2012, 11:17 PM
John Marriott Clinch and Ethel Clinch are on the 1929 Electoral Roll at 161A Bedford Hill, Wandsworth.
At the same address are William Cullen, Beatrice Mary, Ralph and Ida all with the surname 'Polden'.

There is a probate record...
John Marriott Clinch of 1 Cumnor Road, Farmor, nr Oxford. died 11 Dec 1951. Probate to John Marriott Cripps Clinch, a mechanical engineer. Effect £2286.5s

There is a marriage registration of John Marriott Clinch and Martha Emily Cripps at Witney in Sept 1896.

I am not sure who Ethel is yet but I think it is time I found my 'Cama' in the 'quarto da cama'. :smile5:

Interesting that way back in the posts a house was named 'Casadella'. It is normal in Portugal to name your house Casa something, often to do with the area (north, south, view etc) but frequently with a family name. Della is not a Portuguese word so I wonder why they chose it. May mean something, may not?

Ken_R
03-08-2012, 9:28 AM
arriving 1 June 1954 to 43 Beaufort Rd, Edgbaston. An Engineer, permanent residence was Portugal. Intended future residence was a Foreign Country.

Electoral Roll for No 43,

1950, names of
HAYDEN
MORGAN
HARRIS
GIBBON
SOUTH

GRIMSLEY
SOUTH

Not posting full details for obvious reasons.

18 CLINCH's in Brum in 1855. Some at what I can recognise as 'desirable' addresses, but no William.

Coromandel
03-08-2012, 5:10 PM
I am not sure who Ethel is yet but I think it is time I found my 'Cama' in the 'quarto da cama'. :smile5:

I hope you had a good night's sleep after all the work you did on my behalf. muita obrigada, Mutley.|hug| I have to get the supper started now, but will get back to study all your findings ASAP.

Coromandel
03-08-2012, 7:50 PM
Electoral Roll for No 43,

1950, names of
HAYDEN
MORGAN
HARRIS
GIBBON
SOUTH

GRIMSLEY
SOUTH

Not posting full details for obvious reasons.

That looks very promising, Ken_R: SOUTH is the married name I have for one of William Marriott Clinch's daughters. :thumbsup:

Ken_R
03-08-2012, 8:31 PM
I'll PM you the details in due course. It might have to wait until Sunday. From having a quick look, the house was divided into flats.

M_MQ
19-07-2013, 4:06 PM
I am a portuguese citizen, and I am currently working in a project that deals with the Sao Domingos Mine in Portugal. At this time, a variant of the project focuses on the British Cemetery located at the mine and its historical relevance.

I am currently doing an initial exploratory study about the cemetery, bandstand and surrounding gardens, which were all built by the British community in the Sao Domingos Mine, Mértola. Extraction in the modern era was started in 1858 by the British company Mason & Barry, Ltd., coordinated by James Mason.

The cemetery actual state of art is: a small quadrangular structure, walled by 3 meters high white walls and with 9 cypress trees.
A very simple bandstand and surrounding gardens were also built, associated with the English garden concept model and evokes the importance given to leisure by the community.

Nowadays, and because the mine was abandoned in 1966, these splendid structures are much degraded and in a very poor state.
The bandstand and the gardens are nowadays very degraded and in need of preservation and rehabilitation work. On the other hand, the tall grass is taking over the little cemetery, the walls are in need of repair and the iron gate also needs paint recovery.

I would very much like to present and propose a project to bring back the importance of these abandoned structures, and to collaborate in the development of initiatives to promote and disseminate the cultural, social and industrial heritage of Sao Domingos Mine.

Therefore I would appreciate if you could tell if there are any research projects, related to this subject or if you would be interested talking to me about this abandoned and magnificent structures. Since I believe this project has all the means to become a great cultural and social development plan, both Portuguese and English communities should absolutely be involved.

Please let me know if you need any other information or clarification.

Send me a private message!

Awaiting for your feedback.
Thank you for your time.

Best regards.

craigacc
09-05-2014, 1:23 PM
Hi,

I have done a lot of research on this branch of the family (my second cousin line) and came across your original post when looking around for any new links to info on Marriott's son Henry Percy Clinch, who died in Gallipoli in 1915.

Some very interesting info from people who have replied. Good to read this!

Please mail me on craig at bikertrecker dot com as I would live to swap some notes. I have an extensive Clinch family tree which I'm always happy to share info from.

I have Marriott's children as Henry Percy A 1899-1915, Alice Mary b1890, William Marriott H 1893-1974 and Esperanza 1894 to 1969, all born in Portugal.

Look forward to hearing from you, or anyone else who has contributed

Craig Carey-Clinch

I am trying to find out more about Marriott William Clinch and his descendants (I have a lot about his Clinch relatives who stayed in Witney, but he is one of the ones who got away.:).

Sue Mackay
09-05-2014, 3:23 PM
Hallo Craig, and a warm welcome to British-Genealogy. I'm afraid Coromandel is no longer a member, so may not see your post for a bit.

In the meantime, have a good look round now you are here!

Dicmaule
01-05-2016, 10:55 AM

Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, January 3, 1891; Issue 7189.. I am a descendant of esparanza clinch and can give more info.....esparanza married into the harvey family in Penzance. The daughter of william clinch still lives in Penzance ....if the link is still live will post more

Dicmaule
01-05-2016, 10:58 AM
My grandmother was esparanza clinch....she married Leonard harvey and lived in Oxford then reading ....WILLIAMS daughter is very well and lives in Penzance ....happy to fill in more gaps if anyone following still

Pam Downes
01-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Hello Dicmaule,

Welcome to British-Genealogy. :smile5:

The original poster of the thread is no longer a member of the forum, but hopefully craigacc who posted a couple of years ago will receive notification of your post and will get in touch.

Pam