PDA

View Full Version : Eliza Harrison's Husband

LilyAllenFan86
04-07-2012, 9:57 PM
My 3x great Aunt Eliza Harrison had been born in 1868 in Llanvihangel Crucorney, Monmouthshire the William Harrison and Ann Thomas, she married in 1891 in Pontypool to either a William Jones or a david Hutchinson but am having some trouble verifying as to which was her husband and would be grateful for a little help in this case.
Kind Regards
Beth

Waitabit
05-07-2012, 5:22 AM
There is this Eliza Jones in 1901. Varteg seems to be part of Pontypool.I thought Llanvihangel was further west from a previous search.

Eliza Jones
Age in 1901: 32 b. 1869 Varteg, Monmouthshire, Wales
Relation: Wife
Spouse William Jones

William Jones 34 coliery clewer.
Eliza Jones 32
John Jones 13
Emily Jones 9
RG13; Piece: 4946; Folio: 82; Page: 9.
(crown copywrite at TNA)

Jan1954
05-07-2012, 5:29 AM
Hello Beth,

The easiest way to find out which chap she married would be to get a copy of the marriage certificate. You do not have to name both the bride and groom, so just Eliza's name would be sufficient.

I take it that you have discovered the following?

December quarter 1891, Pontypool district, volume 11a, page 270. The names on the page are:

Eliza HARRISON
David HUTCHINSON
William JONES
Margaret Ann WILLIAMS

Alternatively, see which bride/groom combinations you can find in the 1901 and 1911 censuses. :smile5:

Edit: Aha! I see that Waitabit has already found a census entry that could be possible. What about David Hutchinson/Margaret Williams?

Peter Goodey
05-07-2012, 6:36 AM
I see that Waitabit has already found a census entry that could be possible.

Note the words "could be possible". The only sure way to answer the question is to obtain the marriage certificate as Jan recommends.

Coromandel
05-07-2012, 9:49 AM
It looks like you may be able to see the marriage register online on Findmypast for a few credits (perhaps even free at your local library?).

I can't see it myself to check who married whom, but the index does have David Hutchinson (and the other three on Jan's list) marrying in Llanfihangel Pont-Y-Moel in 1891.

LilyAllenFan86
06-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Thank you all very much I think I you have to get the marriage record just to be sure.

Beth

Ladkyis
06-07-2012, 8:41 AM
I have sent you a PM

@ waitabit Llanvihangel means the church of St Michael and there are at least seven places in the old county of Monmouthshire that begin with Llanvihangel. The trick is to see which bit comes next.

Llanvihangel Crucorney is just outside the town of Abergavenny while Llanvihangel Llantarnam is between Cwmbran and Newport. Llanvihangel Pontymoile is outside Pontypool on the road towards Little Mill and Goytre - an exceedingly pretty little white church it is too.
This really goes a long way to show why it is so important to join a family history society close to where your ancestors came from. The local members have so much "inside" information and it has been my experience that they are willing to share it if asked. Gwent FHS are the local society here and I declare my interest in that Society even though I have no ancestors from this area. The natives here are really friendly

Waitabit
06-07-2012, 9:29 AM
Thank you Ladkyis, Welsh things fascinate. Some one knows that Michael is a 'special name ' wih me.
Sadly, I think no direct before me-s came from the area to encourage membership for me. More like, they went there from,..?
I do love to visit.

Ladkyis
06-07-2012, 9:55 PM
Someone pointed out to me that I didn't give the full meaning of Llanvihangel - the Church of St Michael and all Angels, or the church of St Michael the Archangel.
Take your pick