PDA

View Full Version : Rochford in Stropshire?

Betty
04-06-2005, 9:15 PM
I am searching for the name Wellons (or its variants, such as, Wellings, Wellyn. or Llewellyn). My ancestors were John and Annamariah Wellons who left a town or parish name Rochford in the early 1700s and immigrated into the Virginia Colony in America. From the scant knowledge I have Rochford was said to be in Wales. No luck there, so am branching out to other counties. Would some one please give me some help or advice? I am on the USA side of the Atlantic and need a lot of direction. Many, many thanks.
Betty

Geoffers
04-06-2005, 9:40 PM
I am searching for the name Wellons (or its variants, such as, Wellings, Wellyn. or Llewellyn). My ancestors were John and Annamariah Wellons who left a town or parish name Rochford in the early 1700s and immigrated into the Virginia Colony in America. From the scant knowledge I have Rochford was said to be in Wales.
There are several online maps to help locate places in England; a popular one is: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ There are a couple of Rochfords, one is in Worcestershire, near the Shropshire border.

Have you tried the local FHS to see if they have anyone researching the same name?

How early in the 18th century did this couple emigrate and what source have you for their origin in Rochford? When they arrived, how wealthy were they? Did he have a trade or profession which may have needed an apprenticeship?

Did they emigrate alone, or with children, brotehrs/sisters, parents, etc?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

lyndylou
22-10-2005, 5:11 PM
Hello Betty,Geoffers,

Hope I can help with the place Rochford, Worcestershire. It is on the border of Shropshire, very small villiage. My Gt grandmother is buried at St.Michaels Church Rochford. Funny enough, I have just been on parishmouse.com and found photographs of the church, I'm sure you both would love to see them.
Hope this has helped
Lyndylou