PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Quy / Mary Quy

RobinC
20-05-2010, 9:43 PM
I have been looking up an ancestor who was named Elizabeth and was married to William Docwra in 1793 in Bassingbourn, Cambridgeshire and have found the marriage entry on a parish records cd rom for Bassingbourn.

My query is that there are member submitted entries on the IGI for an Elizabeth Quy who was married to William Docwra in 1793 and was allegedly born in 1772 in Bassingbourn but the only person with the surname Quy is Mary Quy who was born in December of 1772.

Could Mary & Elizabeth be the same person?

Sue Mackay
20-05-2010, 10:01 PM
I would trust a CD Rom of parish registers more than a member submitted entry on the IGI

RobinC
20-05-2010, 10:05 PM
I am sceptical about the IGI entry but the marriage is on the CD Rom and so are baptisms of the children of William & Elizabeth.

I would have thought Elizabeth's birth would be on amongst the parish registers though?

Waitabit
21-05-2010, 2:11 AM
Could Elizabeth have been born elsewhere? Or maybe Mary was her baptismal name. The extracted marriage:
Marriage: 16 NOV 1793
WILLIAM DOCWRA Spouse: ELIZABETH QUY Bassingbourn, Cambridge, England M109771 looks pretty good.

RobinC
21-05-2010, 8:27 AM
Could Elizabeth have been born elsewhere? Or maybe Mary was her baptismal name. The extracted marriage:
Marriage: 16 NOV 1793
WILLIAM DOCWRA Spouse: ELIZABETH QUY Bassingbourn, Cambridge, England M109771 looks pretty good.

I've got the parish records CD Roms for Bassingbourn and for Melbourn & Meldreth which are nearby!

I've just looked on the IGI and there is this extracted record:

ELIZABETH QUY
Birth: 08 JAN 1774
Christening: 25 FEB 1774 Newland Street-Independent, Witham, Essex, England
Father: THOMAS QUY
Mother: ELIZABETH

Although the location doesn't match, this could be a possibility for Elizabeth's birth.

Peter Goodey
21-05-2010, 8:49 AM
was allegedly born in 1772 in Bassingbourn

Worthless. This is a typical patron submission based on their usual practice of assuming that all women married at the age of 21 and were all born in the parish where they married.

RobinC
21-05-2010, 8:56 AM
Worthless. This is a typical patron submission based on their usual practice of assuming that all women married at the age of 21 and were all born in the parish where they married.

Do you think that Elizabeth Quy who was born in Essex in 1774 could be a possible match?

How can I confirm / eliminate her as my ancestor?

janbooth
21-05-2010, 9:15 AM
Robin,

It looks to me as if Simon & Mary QUY arrived in Bassingbourn sometime prior to 1773 when Mary was baptised. There are at least 5 subsequent baptisms for this couple, 4 with the surname shown as QUOY, in the PR Transcripts, ie Sarah in 1776, Ann in 1778, Simon & Jane (twins) in 1780 and another Jane in 1782. I didn't look beyond 1782 so you may find some more. More interesting to you is that there is no baptism of an Elizabeth QUY/QUOY/QUYE/QUOI/QUI shown on the Cambs FHS Baptismal Index so they may well have come from another county.

Looking for the marriage of Simon & Mary, there is one at Litlington on 12 October 1771 between Simon QUY & Mary BLOTT according to the PR Transcripts, Simon being a bachelor from Bassingbourn and Mary a spinster of the parish. Both made their mark. That knocks out my first theory then, that they were from out of county!!

Have you found the burial entry for Elizabeth DOCWRA nee QUY and does it give an approximate age at death? This may help you to narrow down the search parameters for your Elizabeth.

Janet

janbooth
21-05-2010, 9:26 AM
Further to the above, there is an Elizabeth DOCWRA in the 1841 census of Bassingbourn shown as aged 70 and born in the county living at North End together with an Alfred DOCWRA aged 17. If this is the correct Elizabeth, it would put her birth date as c1767-71 which is before the marriage of Simon & Mary so you really do need to find her burial and her age at death to try to confirm her approximate birth year.

Janet

RobinC
21-05-2010, 9:31 AM
Hello Janet,

I've just had a quick look on my CD Rom and have found a death for an Elizabeth Docwra, aged 82.

This would be the right age for a birth around 1770.

Is it possible that Elizabeth's birth wasn't recorded?

AdeleE
21-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Do you think that Elizabeth Quy who was born in Essex in 1774 could be a possible match?

How can I confirm / eliminate her as my ancestor?

There is a will available for purchase & download at the National Archives for Thomas Quy, Shopkeeper of Witham , Essex 08 July 1809 PROB 11/1501

If this is her father, she may be mentioned in the will.

janbooth
21-05-2010, 1:29 PM
I'm having problems find Elizabeth in the 1851 census and she should be there if she was not buried until 1852. Are there any more clues on the burial, Robin, such as a different parish (perhaps living with one of her children??). If I can find her on the 1851 census, we might find her place of birth.

Janet

janbooth
21-05-2010, 2:04 PM
Robin,

I have just found an Elizabeth DOCWRA, widow, aged 69 (so quite a bit out, but that could be because the Workhouse had no idea of her real age) in the Bassingbourn Union Workhouse in the 1851 census and her birthplace is shown as Linton, Cambridgeshire. Now according to the Cambridgeshire FHS Baptismal Index, there are quite a few QUOY/QUY baptisms between 1762 and 1775 at Linton, including 2 Simons in that period, all children of a William QUOY and Mary but again no Elizabeth. Could this William perhaps be a relative of the Simon at Bassingbourn? Not sure whether that gets us any further forward but see what you think.

Janet

RobinC
21-05-2010, 8:37 PM
Robin,

I have just found an Elizabeth DOCWRA, widow, aged 69 (so quite a bit out, but that could be because the Workhouse had no idea of her real age) in the Bassingbourn Union Workhouse in the 1851 census and her birthplace is shown as Linton, Cambridgeshire. Now according to the Cambridgeshire FHS Baptismal Index, there are quite a few QUOY/QUY baptisms between 1762 and 1775 at Linton, including 2 Simons in that period, all children of a William QUOY and Mary but again no Elizabeth. Could this William perhaps be a relative of the Simon at Bassingbourn? Not sure whether that gets us any further forward but see what you think.

Janet

It could be a possibility.

I still think Elizabeth's birth may not have been registered for some reason.