PDA

View Full Version : Lincolnshire Inquests 1753 - 1880

Pam Downes
02-05-2005, 10:40 AM
On Saturday I purchased the CD of the above - one of the newer publications by Lincolnshire FHS - which contains details of over 10000 inquests.
Up to and including the 14th May I am willing to look in the *surname* index to see if your name is mentioned.
What I cannot, nor would I, do is to give any further information regarding that name. To do so would be in breach of copyright, as the CD clearly states - in common with all other CDs, including census ones - "You may not
make copies of the data. You may not publish or sell any portion of the data in printed, electronic or any other format without prior written consent."
(By saying that a particular surname is included on the CD I am not in breach of copyright as a list of the surnames is on public display on LFHS bookstalls.)

Pam Downes

Diane R
03-05-2005, 2:53 PM
I would like to take you up on your kind offer. Families of interest in Lincolnshire during this period are Rudkin/Rutkin and Laxton.
Family History has introduced me to the nicest group of people ever encountered.
Diane R

Pam Downes
03-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi Diane,

Rudkin and Laxton both appear on the CD.
CD is fully searchable.
Pam Downes

Patricia Jones
03-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Hallo Pam,
Please could you see if Amos Short, B 1839, D 1844, Died in a fire aged 4 years appears, on the Inquests CD?
Many thanks Patricia Jones

Pam Downes
04-05-2005, 2:12 AM
Hi Patricia,
I can confirm that the surname Short does appear on the CD.
As I said in my original message I can give no further details because otherwise I would be in breach of copyright. I know that you've only recently joined the forum so you will have missed an important message from Rod Neep, the Administrator of the BG Forums, regarding the issue of copyright.

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5341

Details of how to buy the Inquests CD are in my reply to Diane, immediately above your request.

Pam Downes

Brian
04-05-2005, 9:50 AM
Hello Pam

Would you please look to see if the name Mottershall is mentioned on the CD?
Many thanks
Brian

Pam Downes
04-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Sorry Brian,
The nearest is Mottershaw.

Pam Downes

jeannie
04-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi Patricia,
I can confirm that the surname Short does appear on the CD.
As I said in my original message I can give no further details because otherwise I would be in breach of copyright. Dear Pam, Please could you tell us what is included on the CD? Presumably a first name together with the surname, and a date and place of the inquest. Is there anything else? Thanks.
Kind Regards

Patricia Jones
04-05-2005, 3:57 PM
Sorry Pam,
I didn't expect you to give me full details . I only wanted to clarify that the name Short was for the same christian name and year that I am seeking.
I rather thought that an Inquest was in the public domain, didn't know that they were copyright. Rather confused as this site seems to provide "lookups" for census, without the mention of copyright. Thanks for the information you have provided. Patricia

Pam Downes
06-05-2005, 3:22 AM
Hi Patricia,
Copyright laws are a bit of a minefield from what little knowledge I have of them because different rules apply to different things such as newspapers, books, photos, etc.
Basically it amounts to 'I must not copy someone else's work'.
Say Lincs FHS transcribe the entries in the burial register (i.e. an original document) for Frampton church, and then publish those entries on a fiche. I cannot copy the entries from that fiche and put them on my web site because I would be in breach of LFHS copyright. But, I can go to Lincoln Archives and transcribe those same entries and enter my transcription on my web site, and that transcription then becomes my copyright.
With the census entries on the forum, you have seen a transcription from an original census image. What the transcriber cannot do is copy from an index produced by a FHS or Ancestry.
The inquests that the LFHS have put on the CD are, like the parish registers and census images, in the public domain. (However, 'being in the public domain' and 'being easily accessible' are two different things. Newpaper reports quoted on the CD will be available either at the Newspaper Library in Colindale and/or Lincoln Central Library. Inquest reports taken from the Quarter Sessions will only be available at Lincolnshire Archives.)
To produce this CD the LFHS have transcribed from orginal documents. That transcription now becomes LFHS copyright. Most of the copyright restrictions were quoted in my original post - 'you make not make copies of the data' etc.
I'm sorry if I seem unhelpful by refusing to give any further details regarding entries on the CD, but I can assure you that if I did breach copyright Rod would have absolutely no hesitation in throwing me off the forum and telling everyone why he had done so.

Pam Downes

kdorey
06-05-2005, 2:08 PM
Hi Pam,

are there any MACKINDER or DESFORGES entries in the index?

May be the LFHS could put the index of surnames on their web site, as people would be more likely to buy the CD if they know that their particular surname appears.

Regards

Keith

Pam Downes
07-05-2005, 4:02 AM
Please could you tell us what is included on the CD? Presumably a first name together with the surname, and a date and place of the inquest. Is there anything else?
Hi Jeannie,
There's newspaper reports as well as inquest dates/places. Sometimes you get one, sometimes you get t'other, sometimes you get both. Inquest details held at Lincolnshire Archives have the LA reference number quoted. Newspaper reports quote the paper and the date of issue.
Because the CD covers a relatively long time-span and uses different sources, the amount of detail varies but you usually get date of inquest, where held, name of body, cause of death, LA ref. Sometimes the age. Newspaper reports may differ slightly from this info.

Pam Downes

Pam Downes
07-05-2005, 4:10 AM
Hi Keith,

Not only Desforges and Mackinder, but also Mackender. I presume you've already seen the 'how to buy' details. (If not I will re-post them.)
Thanks for the suggestion about putting the names on the website. I will forward it to the Publications Manager because a Poor Law CD (which I should also have bought but for some inexplicable reason didn't) also had a list of names for reference, so that list could also go onto the web site.

Pam Downes

jeannie
07-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi Jeannie,
There's newspaper reports as well as inquest dates/places. Sometimes you get one, sometimes you get t'other, sometimes you get both. Inquest details held at Lincolnshire Archives have the LA reference number quoted. Newspaper reports quote the paper and the date of issue. Because the CD covers a relatively long time-span and uses different sources, the amount of detail varies but you usually get date of inquest, where held, name of body, cause of death, LA ref. Sometimes the age. Newspaper reports may differ slightly from this info.
Pam DownesThanks Pam
Kind Regards

Hazel Burt
09-05-2005, 8:17 PM
Hi Pam,
Could you be so kind as to tell me if the LAMMING/LAMMIN/LAMING name appears in your CD please. It sounds like a wonderful resource for those with families mentioned.
Yours with thanks
Hazel

IreneH
09-05-2005, 8:36 PM
Hi Pam,

Do any of the Halls and Walshams paricularly around the Winterton area show up on your CD?

Irene

Guy Etchells
09-05-2005, 11:22 PM
The inquests that the LFHS have put on the CD are, like the parish registers and census images, in the public domain. (However, 'being in the public domain' and 'being easily accessible' are two different things.

Pam Downes
Slight correction here Pam parish registers, census etc. are not actually in the public domain, for a work to be in the public domain it either requires the copyright to have expired or the copyright holder needs to place the work in the public domain.
This is not the same as the public having access to the work.
Cheers
Guy

Pam Downes
10-05-2005, 1:34 AM
Slight correction here Pam parish registers, census etc. are not actually in the public domain, for a work to be in the public domain it either requires the copyright to have expired or the copyright holder needs to place the work in the public domain.
This is not the same as the public having access to the work.

Thank you, Guy.

Pam Downes

Pam Downes
10-05-2005, 2:10 AM
Could you be so kind as to tell me if the LAMMING/LAMMIN/LAMING name appears in your CD please. It sounds like a wonderful resource for those with families mentioned.
Hi Hazel,
Lamin, Laming and Lamming are listed.
I have to say that the CD is very interesting to read even if you haven't got families involved, though some of the reports can be harrowing (people getting mangled in machinery) and others are so sad especially the ones about children dying. (If you buy the CD, search for 'three children' - minus the speech marks - and read the 9th entry.)

Pam Downes

Pam Downes
10-05-2005, 2:35 AM
Do any of the Halls and Walshams paricularly around the Winterton area show up on your CD?

Hi Irene,
Hall and Walsham are both on the list.
As I've previously said, all I can do is to confirm whether or not a surname is on the CD, because that is the only information held on the LFHS stall.

Pam Downes

Hazel Burt
10-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks Pam. I am going to order the CD straight away.

Yours with many thanks
Hazel

ruthrrr
10-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi Pam

Could you see if the surnames Pine and Gilder appear?

Thanks

Ruth

Peggy
10-05-2005, 3:10 PM
Hi Pam,

I'm confused about the copyright issue, and hope you, or others, can straighten me out. I'm not looking for anyone in Lincs, but let's say that I wanted to find an inquest there for Thankful Smith. Knowing that the common name Smith apeared on the CDs wouldn't be very useful. But if I knew that the name "Thankful Smith" appeared, I'd be more likely to run out and buy the CDs. Does it really violate the copyright to reveal that a full name is found on the CDs, without disclosing any of the information to be found about the person?

Thanks,

Peggy

Pam Downes
10-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Hi Ruth,

Pine yes. Nearest to Gilder is Gilding.

Pam Downes

Pam Downes
11-05-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm confused about the copyright issue, and hope you, or others, can straighten me out. I'm not looking for anyone in Lincs, but let's say that I wanted to find an inquest there for Thankful Smith. Knowing that the common name Smith apeared on the CDs wouldn't be very useful. But if I knew that the name "Thankful Smith" appeared, I'd be more likely to run out and buy the CDs. Does it really violate the copyright to reveal that a full name is found on the CDs, without disclosing any of the information to be found about the person?
Hi Peggy,
I think that the only people who aren't confused by the copyright issue are Rod and Guy.
It could be that I would not be in breach of copyright in confirming that a particular name is on the CD. Ditto if I quoted a year and/or place. However...
The only information available on the LFHS stall is the CD cover which tells you which sources were used, plus a surname-only list in a folder. I therefore based my offer on information that the LFHS have made available to any member of the public who can get to a family history Fair where the LFHS have a stall, and I know that I am acting within LFHS 'guidelines' (for want of a better word).

There is also another side to restricting the look-ups to surname only. Your Thankful Smith would be easy to spot, but as you say, if I said John Smith appears on the list, that's not exactly helpful. So I then have to search all the instances of John Smith, trying to find one either of a certain age or a certain town/district. Ditto if someone asks for Wilson in a certain area - first of all I have to confirm all the villages within the area but how do I decide how large to make the area? Truthfully, at the moment I do not have the time for that level of searching. And once I increased the amount of information I quoted e.g. John Smith of Billinghay died 1832, we are back to the 'would I then be breaching copyright' question. But as I said in my offer the CD does state ' You may not publish or sell any portion of the data....without prior written consent' so just by saying that Thankful Smith's name is on the CD could well be interpreted as breach of copyright.

So for simplicity, fairness to everyone, and absolute certainty that I'm within all the rules I've kept the look-ups surname-only.

Pam Downes

ruthrrr
16-05-2005, 1:13 PM
Hi Ruth,

Pine yes. Nearest to Gilder is Gilding.

Pam Downes
Hi Pam

Thanks for looking for me. Another thing for my "to buy" list, thank goodness my birthday is coming up soon :)

Ruth

Chris Capps
31-05-2005, 1:04 AM
Hi Pam

Would be interested to hear if the surname Capps appears

Regards
Chris Capps

Pam Downes
05-06-2005, 1:17 AM
Would be interested to hear if the surname Capps appears

Hi Chris,
Capps (and Capes, if you've ever considered that as an alternative spelling) are both listed.
With apologies for the delayed reply - have been on holiday.
Pam Downes

peter nicholl
06-06-2005, 8:50 PM
Hi Pam
I know that it's well passed your cut off date but if you wouldn't mind could you tell me if the name Shil(l)cock appears. Jane Shilcock died as a result of falling off her horse, but I'm not sure if that would merit an Inquest. Jane was the aunt of Matthew Flinders the "explorer". If the windows shut, then sorry to have troubled you.
TIA
Peter

Pam Downes
07-06-2005, 12:33 AM
could you tell me if the name Shil(l)cock appears.
Hi Peter,
I only put the time limit in because I was going on holiday and didn't want people wondering why they weren't getting a reply.
No Shil(l)cock on the CD.
However, not every inquest is listed on the CD.

Pam Downes

peter nicholl
07-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Hi Pam
Thanks for the info. I'll look up the LincsFHS details. Hope you enjoyed your Hols:)
Peter