PDA

View Full Version : Gamble Family from Middleton, Norfolk

unbendiecowfish
02-05-2005, 9:52 AM
I am very interested in finding ancestors of William Gamble who married Mary Davy. William was born c1772/5 in Middleton. He and Mary had several children, my direct lineage was also called William, born c1806, who married an Elizabeth Tyler, apparently the daughter of Squire Wythe of Middleton Hall, although she grew up knowing her father as George Tyler. My lineage came from another son called William, born 24.12 1843. This William married a lady called Anna Mary Locke, this part of the family bred like rabbits as William and Anna had 16 children, 1 of which died only aged 9 days old. The next line in the family is Sydney Adderson, who married Nellie Tingey. One of Sydney's younger brothers was John Arthur (Jack) who changed his name to Campbell and fathered the actress Judy Campbell, who is the mother of 60's singer who had a number one single with Serge Gainsbourg, Jane Birkin. One of Sydney's children was Karl Edward (known as Charles, as Karl was known more as a German name and Karl was only a young boy at the time of the First World War). Karl was my Grandfather. One of Karl's sons was my father John Wynn, born in 1934, he married Patricia Magaret Dunn. My family tree is on a GEDCOM format file and is massive and I also have quite a lot of history on the Tingey & Brasnett families. My main problem at the moment is that I have two more Gamble families from Middleton; a George and Mary Ann Gamble, who lived at 48. Water Lane, Middleton at some point and his trade was a carpenter. He was born in Grimston, Norfolk and Mary Ann was born in Great Dunham, Norfolk and they had 6 or 7 children. The other Gamble family was headed by John and Elizabeth Gamble, both born in Middleton, he was known to be a carpenter and lived in Blackboro, Middleton. I am hoping that this part of the family extend from the very first William I have information on. I would appreciate if anybody can fill in the blanks especially information on this branch of the family from about 1650 - 1770. If you would like a copy of my GEDCOM file, please let me know. (This GEDCOM file also contains quite extensive family trees for Tingeys and Brasnetts).

Martin Gamble

Geoffers
02-05-2005, 1:28 PM
I am very interested in finding ancestors of William Gamble who married Mary Davy. William was born c1772/5 in Middleton.......I would appreciate if anybody can fill in the blanks especially information on this branch of the family from about 1650 - 1770. If you would like a copy of my GEDCOM file, please let me know.
We have an index to Middleton Baptisms on the Norfolk Transcription Archive
http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php
which includes a William GAMBLE bapt 1764.

The Hearth Tax Returns for Michaelmas 1664 do not show any GAMBLEs in Middleton then, there are entries in Kings Lynn (Alce Gamble) and Terrington St.Clements (Rich Gamble). There are no entries closer to Middleton, so it could well be that the family moved there in the 18th century.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

unbendiecowfish
03-05-2005, 4:53 PM
Funnily enough I have stumbled across this page today. I have found many "middle" names that I did not know and also a child which I had no knowledge of (Parents William and Elizabeth nee Tyler). Many thanks for the reply.

Martin Gamble

unbendiecowfish
03-05-2005, 4:54 PM
I do know that William at the top of my tree was born in West Acre, which is were I should possibly concentrate on that area of Norfolk.

Martin Gamble

Macton
05-10-2008, 4:25 PM
I am descended from William Gamble and Mary Davy via their daughter Margaret (28.3.1813). Margaret married a mariner in Kings Lynn called John Lee. Their son David (Davey William Lee) married Elizabeth Barr of Kings Lynn and eventually find their way to Poplar, East London.

unbendiecowfish
03-01-2011, 4:01 PM
I am descended from William Gamble and Mary Davy via their daughter Margaret (28.3.1813). Margaret married a mariner in Kings Lynn called John Lee. Their son David (Davey William Lee) married Elizabeth Barr of Kings Lynn and eventually find their way to Poplar, East London.

I do have these people in my tree, but mine stops at Davey William Lee, I do not have his marriage.

I can be contacted at - unbendiecowfish(at)aol.com

Regards Martin Gamble