PDA

View Full Version : What's the extent of French records?

DebbieLou
14-04-2010, 8:03 PM
Having discovered an ancestor died in Boulogne-sur-Mer in 1885 I have applied for his death certificate.

But what else can be gleaned from French records... How can I find a will assuming one was written? Were newspaper obituaries published? Would he have appeared in other records during his twelve year exile?

Also why choose Boulogne-Sur-Mer? I know he left his wife and two young daughters and possibly went off with another woman! Was this a place to live cheaply and escape from his creditors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

British Viking
14-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Whilst I'm not sure of the exact extent of French records, you could explore the following two French sites:

genealogie.com (Put www. in front)

www.FranceGenWeb.org/.

I think you can lurk in there to find out their limits but need to register if you wish to post but they're both free.

And, oh, they're both in French - naturellement!

DebbieLou
17-04-2010, 6:04 PM
Thanks for that. I have posted a message on the genealogie nord-pas-de-Calais forums but have, as yet, had no reply......

Have also received a letter from the Boulogne-Sur-Mer archives stating they cannot find Frederic's death certificate.

Back to the drawing board.......

British Viking
17-04-2010, 6:36 PM
You may find the following useful for your French researching.

http://genealogy.about.com/od/france/French_Genealogy_Family_History.htm

Bonne chance!

DebbieLou
17-04-2010, 9:33 PM
Thanks British Viking that site is very useful. There is even a sample letter which was very useful as my French is rather rusty!!

DebbieLou
25-04-2010, 8:00 PM
In 'The Smell of the Continent' by Richard Mullen and James Munson p65 mentions ".......Boulogne had a major 'colony' of British debtors......."

pottoka
25-04-2010, 8:24 PM
How did you find out that he died in Boulogne?

Kerrywood
25-04-2010, 11:15 PM
How did you find out that he died in Boulogne?

This thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?58135-Frederic-Albert-Collyer-emigrated-to-where&p=386991&highlight=#post386991) of DebbieLou's gives further information.

pottoka
26-04-2010, 12:09 AM
Thanks, Kerrywood.