PDA

View Full Version : Julius DAY 1991 census look-up request

amehn
30-04-2005, 3:38 AM
Hello,
In 1881 Julius DAY lived in Middlesex. Present in that census was himself (Married) two of his legitimate children, his housekeeper and her child (apparently by him). No wife was present:

Julius DAY Head M Male 46 Challock, Kent, England Carpenter
Henry J. DAY Son U Male 18 Poplar, Middlesex, England Carpenter
William DAY Son Male 14 Faversham, Kent, England Shop Lad
Louisa HODGES Housekeeper U Female 29 Battersea, Surrey, England Servant
Frederick HODGES Son Male 2 Kensington, Middlesex, England

Source Information:
Dwelling Kensal Green Harrow Rd 28 Victor Rd
Census Place Willesden, Middlesex, England

Would it be possible to see if Julius DAY were still in Middlesex in 1991? I think he may have died in 1891 but I don't know whether before or after the census.

If possible, to also look for Louisa HODGES as well (whether or not still in his employ)

Much thanks,

A

janbooth
30-04-2005, 10:25 AM
It looks as if this could be Julius and Louisa in the 1891 of St Stephens East Ham, Romford, Essex:

PRO Ref: RG12/1340, folio 98, page 9
Schedule 45, 81 Cleaves Road

Julius DAY Head M 54 Carpenter Kent Maidstone
Lousia do Wife M 38 Laundress London Battersea
Frederick do Son 12 Scholar do Kensington
Amy do Daur 10 do do Willesden
Ellen do Daur 9 do do do
George do Son 4 do Chelsea

Hope this helps.

Janet.

amehn
30-04-2005, 6:44 PM
Yes Janet, it is indeed them. Thank you for the look-up and for adding the significant details! I guess they eventually married after all... maybe just before he died!? I think George was George Hodges all his life although am not entirely sure. I have since learned that by 1871 Julius was a widower and suppose that in 1881 he must have been too.

cheers,

A.

Ron Leech
01-05-2005, 7:41 AM
I guess they eventually married after all... maybe just before he died!? I think George was George Hodges all his life although am not entirely sure. I have since learned that by 1871 Julius was a widower and suppose that in 1881 he must have been too.
Have you found the marriage to Louisa? If you have additional information about the family other listers may be able to help you.

amehn
02-05-2005, 1:16 AM
No Ron, not at this point.

I have been gathering the information for my mother's cousin's (wife)... I don't think she knew that Julius and Louisa were eventually married. Louisa Hodges was her great grandmother and Amy her grandmother. On Amy's birth certificate, no father is recorded.

When she has digested all this new information, she will no doubt have more questions! I couldn't find the marriage on free BMD though.

Thanks for your interest.

A

Ron Leech
02-05-2005, 7:45 AM
I tried a couple of approaches on FreeBMD but could not see the marriage either.

The children's births are listed under Hodges and are on FreeBMD assuming they are the correct people. That said for Amy there is a listing in 1883 but born Fulham (so is George). Ellen 3 possibles are listed but dates and places don't tie up.

Hope that helps if you haven't already found them.

amehn
05-05-2005, 6:16 PM
Hi Ron,

We do have a birth certificate for Amy and she was born in Willesden. I still have to verify which surname George had.
I couldn't find Louisa's marriage to Julius on Free BMD nor Julius Day's previous marriage (assuming it was before 1870 something)

Thanks for looking as well. Sometimes fresh eyes....

I think now I have to see what additional information I can get from my the cousin concerned!

cheers.
A.

Ron Leech
06-05-2005, 6:04 AM
Hi Ron,

I couldn't find Louisa's marriage to Julius on Free BMD nor Julius Day's previous marriage (assuming it was before 1870 something)
Yes, I found the same on FreeBMD. If you have someone over here who can look at the Family Record Centre, Myddleton St that would virtually prove or disprove the marriage. I have found records there on several occasssions that do not appear on the various computer systems.

If Amy was christened and you could identify the church and access the parish records there are sometimes additional notes made about the family.