PDA

View Full Version : British researching 19th C. German ancestors

Lizziehen
28-03-2010, 5:16 PM
Is there anyone in Scotland searching for German ancestors? The internet seems to have a lot of websites where Americans are researching German ancestors, but little pertaining to anyone in Britain doing likewise - let alone Scotland! :no: I would love to hear from anyone in any part of Britain researching their 19th century German ancestors. My period of interest is 1830-1855.

Jan1954
28-03-2010, 5:20 PM
Hello Lizziehen - welcome to Brit-Gen

I am neither in Scotland nor researching German ancestors, but thought that you might find this (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P84652&pageOffset=0) to be of interest. :smile5:

Geoffers
29-03-2010, 6:58 AM
See Jan's reply above; you might also try using a search engine to look for the 'Anglo German family History Society'.

cicilysmith
29-03-2010, 9:36 PM
I am looking for German ancestors, but mine never came to Britain. My dad was Dutch and I have two German lines from Hanover and Hessen through him, but I joined the Anglo-German society for several years and found them very helpful. Many of the Germans came here as sugar bakers, and my ancestor who moved to Rotterdam seems to have worked in a similar place, so all the information on their website about sugar bakers was still useful to me, best wishes, cicilysmith

Lizziehen
30-03-2010, 4:25 PM
Hello Jan

Thanks for the welcome and also the URL you gave me, The CD sounds interesting and I'll try anything.

Liz

Lizziehen
30-03-2010, 4:26 PM
Thanks Geoffers and Cicily for your responses. I did join the Anglo-Germany Family History Society about 3 years ago, but it does pertain more to England and London in particular, although I am still a member.

I do have a huge stumbing block concerning my German born great-grandfather as his surname was anglicized from I first found him when he married in Glasgow, Scotland as Lewis Mitchell. I only have the late family's pronunciation of his German name, Louis "Meesh-ler". Although that could have been Meesh-el". Possibly Michler or Michel. I know his occupation and his birth was registered in Frankfurt am Main, But the exact surname....

Anyway, thanks, and I will continue hoping. Cannot find any sources of information in Scotland concerning German immigrants, such as a German community. There was a Jewish community.

Thanks again
Liz

cicilysmith
30-03-2010, 6:55 PM
In the Netherlands there is a website www.meertens.knaw.nl which gives distribution of surnames within the Netherlands and information about how common the name is. I don't know of a website like that in Germany, but I have never looked for one. By the way, what was your ancestor's occupation, if you don't mind my asking? cicilysmith

Lizziehen
01-04-2010, 9:54 PM
Cicily, yes German and Austrian surnames can be checked on a similar website to the Netherlands website you mention. I discarded a number of possible spellings as a result of using it. Both Michler and Michel have an above average distribution, particularly Michel.

My great-grandfather gave his employment as Glazier on his marriage registration in Scotland when he was 22 years of age. Later he became a roof Slater, then Master Slater. His son also became a Master Slater.

Thanks again for your response.
Lizziehen

cicilysmith
02-04-2010, 9:26 PM
That is an unusual occupation. I have read about pork butchers, furriers,sugar bakers, tailors and soldiers but not glaziers. Am I allowed to mention another forum? There is a chap called markby74 on rootschat looking for a German ancestor called Charles Mitchell or similar name living in Banbury, a tailor. Probably no connection, but I just wondered, cicilysmith

Lizziehen
03-04-2010, 12:09 AM
Yes, Cicily, many Germans who came to Britain had the occupations you mention and possibly they brought them here. Particularly concerning the sugar industry. But perhaps my Lewis/Louis Mitchell came to Scotland for other reasons than ocupation. I wonder how it came about that he changed from glazier to roof slater, eventually becoming a master slater.

I'll see if I can track down markby74 and his Charles Mitchell in Banbury although, as you say, probably no connection. Mitchell is a common British surname, sightly more so in Scotland. Oddly, quite a number named Lewis Mitchell in Glasgow where mine lived, and even some of them slaters.... but those I have checked out were all Scottish born. Thanks again for your interest and helpful suggestions.
Best wishes
Lizziehen