PDA

View Full Version : Looking for RICHARD & JOHN RUSSELL

Karen Newman
20-04-2005, 5:59 PM
I am trying to find John Harold RUSSELL - his birth and entries on the 1871, 1881 & 1891 censuses.

He married Edith Fanny BODDY in Kingston in 1893 when he gave his age as 29. He described himself as the Regimental Bandmaster of the East Surrey Regiment - they have no trace of him (but have said he could have been an ordinary bandsman who exaggerated).

On the 1901 census he is described as a musician aged 36 - his birthplace is shown as Woolwich Kent. (Written on the line above with an arrow pointing to him!)

On his marriage cert, his father is shown as Richard RUSSELL, police inspector - I have found only one - born in Heavitree, Devon and living in Shropshire. In 1871 he is married with children but John is not with him (possibly a second marriage, he certainly went on to make another after that one).

On the 1891 census, there is a barracks for the East Surrey Regt in Kingston, but John is not there.

Any ideas/suggestions? I have tried FreeBMD and ancestry but no definite matches - I don't even know if I have the right Richard Russell.