PDA

View Full Version : Greek Genealogy

susan-y
31-01-2010, 6:44 PM
My daughter has asked me to start tracing her husband's side of the family that came from Greece. Before I say "yes" can someone please tell me if there is much information ( in English) that I will be able to find?

Thanks

Sue

v.wells
31-01-2010, 7:18 PM
Good luck to you Susan! This was all I could find (www).daddezio.com/grekgen.html and it is in English.

You could also try Genuki for other resources.

margarita
31-01-2010, 8:17 PM
susan-y,

Cyndi's List gives several links for Greece (http://www.cyndislist.com/greece.htm)

There are also some records on FamilySearch (http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp).

You may have a bit of a job on your hands because there was (and still is) a very traditional naming pattern amongs Greeks - 1st son named after paternal grandfather etc. You will find lots of people with identical names, especially in small villages.

You may may be able to find incoming passenger records.

Where in Greece is your son-in-law from and does he speak Greek - could be very useful?

Good luck.

Regards,

maggie

susan-y
31-01-2010, 9:35 PM
susan-y,

Cyndi's List gives several links for Greece (http://www.cyndislist.com/greece.htm)

There are also some records on FamilySearch (http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp).

You may have a bit of a job on your hands because there was (and still is) a very traditional naming pattern amongs Greeks - 1st son named after paternal grandfather etc. You will find lots of people with identical names, especially in small villages.

You may may be able to find incoming passenger records.

Where in Greece is your son-in-law from and does he speak Greek - could be very useful?

Good luck.

Regards,

maggie

Thank's Maggie!

I never thought of Cyndi's list, but was on there last night looking for something else|oopsredfa
It's my son in law's grandparents who came to Canada from Greece. Not sure if they married here or there. His grandmother is getting forgetful, just like the rest of us, so he has promised to question her when they take the baby to meet great grandma! (Its really rather funny as she remembers my daughter's name but forgets her grandson's . His family gets a big laugh out of this;)
As for the naming pattern that seems to have happened in alot of our English and Irish families as well.
SIL thinks his grandmother is from somewhere called... Rhodes or Rodes or Roads? At least that sounded like what he said ( my grandson was crying in the background at the time) and we ( daughter and I ) were the ones on the phone.
The surname I'll be searching is Joachimides... I'm sure its common over there.:)

Vanessa.....
Thankyou as well for that link, I shall give it a try, but I think I will wait for a bit more information from them.
They are very excited as I just started with his paternal grandparents and already have had contact with a relative in Britain! The thing is, I had more information to go on.

Sue

Procat
01-02-2010, 12:29 AM
SIL thinks his grandmother is from somewhere called... Rhodes or Rodes or Roads? At least that sounded like what he said ( my grandson was crying in the background at the time) and we ( daughter and I ) were the ones on the phone.
The surname I'll be searching is Joachimides... I'm sure its common over there.:)

Rhodes is a Greek island - also has a town called Rhodes. If you google I am sure you will get lots of hits. This may also be useful daddezio.com/genealogy/greek/records/index.html (put www at the front)

susan-y
01-02-2010, 3:59 AM
Rhodes is a Greek island - also has a town called Rhodes. If you google I am sure you will get lots of hits. This may also be useful daddezio.com/genealogy/greek/records/index.html (put www at the front)

Thanks Doug for the geography pointer... now I know what town or Island to search. Also you and Vanessa think alike!! Don't know if its a case of "great minds" or "dumb luck"|jumphappy

I have found someone who has the correct family on A* so I have emailed them..... there's ome living members involved so I'm waiting to hear back and not posting any names.

Thanks again...

Sue

Procat
01-02-2010, 5:24 AM
TAlso you and Vanessa think alike!! Don't know if its a case of "great minds" or "dumb luck"|jumphappy

How could it be anything other than great minds???? |biggrin|