PDA

View Full Version : Bedford or Stanfield

Kath Betts
18-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Can anyone throw any light on where Beford Suffolk is/was? The only reference that I can find is Bedford Levels which is quoted as being fens including parts of Norfolk, Suffolk, Ely & Cambs.

In the 1851 census Henry Storey shows as Aged 55 born in Bedford Suffolk whilst the 1861 census shows him as aged 70 born in Stanfield Suffolk. The age difference is no great surprise as he had a 2 year old child with a lady who was shown as 25, so I suspect that he was being a little secretive about his real age! By 1851 he was living in Milborne Port Somerset.

I am not sure what district this would be or which parish records to start looking at.

Any suggestions please?

Kath

Wirral
18-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Hi Kath
Try the Genuki site for Suffolk & look at the list of towns & villages. That gives a few possibles - including Bedfield, Bedingfield, Stansfield, Sternfield. The site also tells you what large town they are near, so you can find them even if they are not on your own map. I've looked on the 1841 census, but not found any Storeys in those villages at all, although if he was in Somerset by 1851, he might well have gone by 1841.
If you haven't already got it, buy a copy of Rod's 1841 census for Suffolk, it's great!